Upcoming season thoughts

Mazzoak

We have to be careful with stats.

The increase in cases has been compared to May, yet in May only 40,000 tests resulted 3,000 ish cases. Yesterday 170,000 test found 3,000 cases.

Death & Hospitalisations have decreased, some suggest it’s getting weak. The most likely reason is possibly found in the case of Chickenpox. A child will usually pick up a relatively low dose of virus, usually from school, enough to make them ill. Then those who live in close proximity, usually siblings, will then catch & have more severe symptoms. The increase in social distancing can then be attributed to people receiving smaller doses.
If this becomes a reality, anything indoors could be unrealistic for a very long period. I’ve got doubts we’ll even return to pre Covid life before 22/23.

moggy#9

We have to be careful with stats.

The increase in cases has been compared to May, yet in May only 40,000 tests resulted 3,000 ish cases. Yesterday 170,000 test found 3,000 cases.

Death & Hospitalisations have decreased, some suggest it’s getting weak. The most likely reason is possibly found in the case of Chickenpox. A child will usually pick up a relatively low dose of virus, usually from school, enough to make them ill. Then those who live in close proximity, usually siblings, will then catch & have more severe symptoms. The increase in social distancing can then be attributed to people receiving smaller doses.
If this becomes a reality, anything indoors could be unrealistic for a very long period. I’ve got doubts we’ll even return to pre Covid life before 22/23.
To be honest, in my darker moments, I wonder if this will be the end of hockey in the UK at any kind of serious level.

Wannabe2

What makes you think that mate, if the season doesn’t happen then why can’t it pickup where it left off for season 21/22. It would be a bummer for sure, but I believe fans would flood back to watch this great sport. I will need my fix in 21/22 as much as now. I realise people are different and some may wander off, but I can see it getting back in popularity in time, safe environment being back of course. Stay Safe.

Kevlar68

I have a cunning plan.

We pave all around the outside of the arena and mark the 3000 seats placements 2m apart around the outside of the IAW.
We add titantron (enormous screens) around the outside wall of the arena.
We then add inside multiple cameras showing the view from each block which on the titantron would merge with each other to show your normal view of the game.
We then hire the space outside on the pavement where we usually sit, take our lounger, deckchair, armchair, whatever and watch the game going on inside outside.
If raining the shop can sell clear umbrellas so game can still be seen.
Mobile beer. Snack, pop sellers can wander around to serve supporters at their seats.
Outdoor portable toilets with queuing system or instead of bringing a chair bring a commode, never miss a single play.

There, problem solved. You can thank me later Devil's Org. :D

Last edited:

moggy#9

I have a cunning plan.

We pave all around the outside of the arena and mark the 3000 seats placements 2m apart around the outside of the IAW.
We then add inside multiple cameras showing the view from each block which on the titantron would merge with each other to show your normal view of the game.
We then hire the space outside on the pavement where we usually sit, take our lounger, deckchair, armchair, whatever and watch the game going on inside outside.
Mobile beer. Snack, pop sellers can wander around to serve supporters at their seats.
Outdoor portable toilets with queuing system or instead of bringing a chair bring a commode, never miss a single play.

If hockey were a summer sport, this would actually be quite a brilliant idea. With the cold wind whistling off the bay in February we might have quite a high attrition rate from exposure though.

moggy#9

What makes you think that mate, if the season doesn’t happen then why can’t it pickup where it left off for season 21/22. It would be a bummer for sure, but I believe fans would flood back to watch this great sport. I will need my fix in 21/22 as much as now. I realise people are different and some may wander off, but I can see it getting back in popularity in time, safe environment being back of course. Stay Safe.
Well, I have two strands of thought on this. Firstly is around the viability of all of the venues in the league to survive a lengthy period of mothballing. The second is whether some fans would either find something else to do, or simply not be able to afford hockey any more. The news stories and stuff I've seen on social media over the weekend don't leave me feeling very positive about the months ahead.

kingmo19.1

I have a cunning plan.

Awesome idea! But only 1 flaw .... how would we play chuck-a-puck? If you threw one it would hit the outside wall of the arena.

Doh! Back to the drawing board ..... :)

Kevlar68

Chuck-a-puck solved.
A huge tube above middle of rink is pre-loaded with 1000 numbered pucks inside.
Tickets are sold off with random puck numbers on them.
On period break the tube is opened at the bottom "Unleash the pucks" and all the pucks spill out, closest bought puck to the winning marker is the winner.
BOOM!

Wannabe2

Actually I was thinking the exact same thing, how we would all cherish keeping our eyes on the puck at all times. Maybe one day when I am a little older, until then it’s a case of dream on brother. Stay Safe All.

moggy#9

Actually I was thinking the exact same thing, how we would all cherish keeping our eyes on the puck at all times. Maybe one day when I am a little older, until then it’s a case of dream on brother. Stay Safe All.
Maybe Todd could record some phrases, such as "keep your eyes on the puck" for people to play back of they're just missing hockey too much.

Last edited:

BostonBart22

I have a cunning plan.

I have a cunning plan.
What about the disabled section ?

kingmo19.1

You see this is where the IAW lets us down. If we’d remained in the BBT, we’d just need to peel back the roof tarpaulin then we could play the game in the open air. On the conclusion of the game then just staple it back down! Simple :)
These modern arenas are just a hindrance!