Signing announcement

jenks33

I’ll be very disappointed and shocked if it’s Thompson. Todd and Steve have spent enough time on twitter and the inferno to see how the fan base feel about Paul Thompson. I’m not sure why they would want to jeopardise their good relationship with the fan base with a very risky appointment. As others have said he’s got a good record in the British game so I’m not saying he doesn’t have the credentials (although I do tend to agree with the Jose Mourinho reference, I do think his best days are behind him) but if it’s true that we had over 80 applicants then it will be a kick in the teeth if we appoint Thompson.

Gaz G

I don't think there is any possibility whatsoever that it'll be Thommo.

As stated, all the fans think he's a tit head. I'd expect a lot of the players do too. I wonder how, if we re sign him, Bownsy would feel after he sent Armstrong out to run him. Was he the coach who sent out all his goons to beat the shit out of our Brits?

kingmo19.1

There is no denying that Thommo has had success in this league and has had experience in taking British teams into European competitions, coaching in European clubs and , of course, Team GB.

Bearing in mind how strange and uncertain these times are, a shorter season is a possibility. He ticks a lot of boxes so it is plausible he might be considered a short-term Head coach......but this would fly in the face of all the values the Club nurtures and how the players and personnel conduct themselves. His style is totally different to the previous coach as a coach and an individual.

Stranger things have happened but his close association with the Brummy idiot and the culture at his previous EIHL club would be hard to overlook.
Stranger things have happened - Mourinho from Chelsea to Man Utd, Benitez from Liverpool to Chelsea, Lawless from Cardiff to Manchester ..... ironic that none of those worked out!

BostonBart22

As stated, all the fans think he's a tit head. I'd expect a lot of the players do too. I wonder how, if we re sign him, Bownsy would feel after he sent Armstrong out to run him. Was he the coach who sent out all his goons to beat the shit out of our Brits?
Yes v coventry ,devils were battering blaze and we took the piss out of them and put all brits on the ice late in game, then all kicked off with cruishank the main contender, think Hill, stone, ritchie, phillips were on the ice, was another think it was Manny..

Swarley

Makes me wonder how ticket sales and season tickets would be effected if he was announced would fans stay away or just turn up and throw abuse at him.

kingmo19.1

Makes me wonder how ticket sales and season tickets would be effected if he was announced would fans stay away or just turn up and throw abuse at him.
Ah, I can’t see many Devils fans hurling Verbal abuse at him (in public) if it happened. That would be Unacceptable - maybe online, but I can’t see that behaviour happening in the rink.

Devils86

I can't see Thompson being the pick. If you need a short term place holder for a mini season then I reckon the club could either pick someone close (like a Morrisette, Linglet) or call in a favor from one of the owners contacts.

Can't see the benefit of having Thompson at the club.

The main point I wanted to make however is that I detest the word "winningest" (or whatever it is) - almost as bad as "oftentimes"

moggy#9

Thread starter #48
I can't see Thompson being the pick. If you need a short term place holder for a mini season then I reckon the club could either pick someone close (like a Morrisette, Linglet) or call in a favor from one of the owners contacts.

Can't see the benefit of having Thompson at the club.

The main point I wanted to make however is that I detest the word "winningest" (or whatever it is) - almost as bad as "oftentimes"
I'm with you on that abuse of the English language. It's a bit like in the Olympics when they use medal as a verb - I hate it.

Swarley

Ah, I can’t see many Devils fans hurling Verbal abuse at him (in public) if it happened. That would be Unacceptable - maybe online, but I can’t see that behaviour happening in the rink.
You have a point there, I could see a boycott or something online happening if he is made coach.

Earnie

I don’t see a new coach being appointed until it is more certain we will have a Season.
Why add another maybe high earner onto the payroll when there is uncertainty? Unlike the players signed he probably would be paid early on. Just a thought.

moggy#9

Thread starter #51
I don’t see a new coach being appointed until it is more certain we will have a Season.
Why add another maybe high earner onto the payroll when there is uncertainty? Unlike the players signed he probably would be paid early on. Just a thought.
I guess it's a game of chicken - wait long enough to know what's happening, but not so long that your preferred targets get sick of waiting and go somewhere else. The coach is a key appointment, and we have to have the right person - i.e. not thommo.

dave

I guess it's a game of chicken - wait long enough to know what's happening, but not so long that your preferred targets get sick of waiting and go somewhere else. The coach is a key appointment, and we have to have the right person - i.e. not thommo.
I think in these times and its the same for the players there would be no formal signing as such more a letter or agreement of to start at the date of camp (when it's known hockey will start again) The only plus side is at the moment we are in the same situation as much as the rest of the hockey nations. So there are not that many places for them to go especially Europe where most leagues you can not register players yet . The only thing a coach would be doing if they agreed to commit now or in near future is have the normal type input in any possible recruitment and settling up the training camp and that can be done remotely from Cardiff.

Temme

At a complete guess, the contracts will all come with a clause of some sort that the club won't pay players/staff if there is no league.

If there isn't a league until January, then possible the coach is paid from October, with the players paid December onwards (preseason, camp)?

Again though, that's just a guess, and our league won't be unique in this situation. I'm pretty sure coaches/players understand the situation, as in they cannot pay people without revenue themselves.

My hope is the situation in the UK is on par/better than the rest of Europe, because the last thing we want is to be behind them and our league suffer heavily as a result.

moggy#9

Thread starter #56
Never a question in my mind that he'd be back. He's developing into one of the best British players and should be a no brainer for the national team.

Samael

Yep glad to see Sam back in red white and green. We need a younger roster, but tempered with the right experienced/veteran players. Interesting that a longish interview with Morrisonn has been put up too, which l don't have time to watch in full right now.

moggy#9

Thread starter #59
So who do we think this week? The only player I have left on my list as a near certainty is Myers, though I'd love it to be bownsy, fournier or McNamee.