Upcoming season thoughts

moggy#9

I think that we have to be careful not to fall into the trap of believing we're on an ever improving trajectory. A number of places have gone backwards with their efforts, and I'm yet to be connected that there won't be another lockdown in the autumn.
Germany is now reporting an r rate of 1.28 according to der spiegel. I think things will get worse before they get better.

BostonBart22

Germany is now reporting an r rate of 1.28 according to der spiegel. I think things will get worse before they get better.
spoke to a doctor today, informed me, the expected next wave is gonna be bigger and worse, by sept.. supermarkets been told to stock up to the rafters, govt ..holding back evidence, not helping, either 20 on bus yesterday, 3 wearing masks, driver couldnt care too hoots...

moggy#9

spoke to a doctor today, informed me, the expected next wave is gonna be bigger and worse, by sept.. supermarkets been told to stock up to the rafters, govt ..holding back evidence, not helping, either 20 on bus yesterday, 3 wearing masks, driver couldnt care too hoots...
The more I read about what's going on in this country and around the world, the more convinced I am that we're not going to see any hockey in this country until at least next spring.

matbur

The more I read about what's going on in this country and around the world, the more convinced I am that we're not going to see any hockey in this country until at least next spring.
No, we're not. I've said this ever since the pandemic broke out here, anyone who thinks we'll have a hockey season is kidding themselves.

I sincerely hope that the EIHL and British hockey have been discussing contingency plans rather than just the staunch optimism we're getting as the official line.

pjj365

No, we're not. I've said this ever since the pandemic broke out here, anyone who thinks we'll have a hockey season is kidding themselves.

I sincerely hope that the EIHL and British hockey have been discussing contingency plans rather than just the staunch optimism we're getting as the official line.
Don't think they are just exhibiting staunch optimism. Fife local rag (on Twitter but can't find the link at the moment) says Scottish MPs heading up cross party representations to Govt for financial assistance specifically for EIHL

Rempel16

Yet doctors i know say the complete opposite.

Government holding back evidence is quite the conspiracy theory.

Kevlar68

I would have thought if there was a second wave it would be bigger anyway due to the fact when at first covid was found it was straight to lockdown.
Now even though the virus is still with us people are going about as normal. So whatever the doctor said it isn't privileged information its just common sense.

august04

I would have thought if there was a second wave it would be bigger anyway due to the fact when at first covid was found it was straight to lockdown.
Now even though the virus is still with us people are going about as normal. So whatever the doctor said it isn't privileged information its just common sense.
I think Covid was with us for many months before we went into lockdown. Prof Chris Whitty said last week that the virus was probably already in retreat before lockdown even started!

Wannabe2

4 months to go yet, that’s 16 weeks anything could happen in that time, in the hands of the gods I reckon. Could be a blessing,could be a bummer, just keep hoping and praying as long as it’s safe obviously.

NathanG

If worst comes to worst and we don't get a season, how much would British ice hockey regress. I'm interested in people's opinions on this.

moggy#9

If worst comes to worst and we don't get a season, how much would British ice hockey regress. I'm interested in people's opinions on this.
I think they key here is if the rinks and the companies who run the teams can stay in business. That may come down to who the ownership is and whether government support is forthcoming. I think that in a worst case scenario we'd lose the arena teams and be left with an early 90s scenario in terms of the standard of play and the tiers. That said the level and depth of British talent is far better than then, so I couldn't see teams going back to 3 imports and 2 lines.

Glynne, the level and type of flu in the Australian winter is often an indicator of what we can expect in Europe.

If we end up with a low flu level that would be great as it would hopefully ensure that the NHS is not over run this coming winter

Let's hope the worst is behind us one fact that out there is that different experts have different opinions. I've spoken to a doctor who's a regular in my shop speak in an optimistic way and another doctor from the same hospital talk about another wave. All we can do it hope do our bit and comply with safety regulations and hope we can have hockey again if medical experts cannot give us a certain answer on our future I cannot even begin to speculate just enjoy the hockey we have on TV rn and hope for the best and avoid being disappointed.

Gospel

There are already local lockdowns in some places in England, there is the 14 day quarantine from Spain and others to follow today or tomorrow. Bars and restaurants are mainly only open now with people sitting outside but you cant do that in autumn/winter in the UK!

We are at the start of August now and given that infection rates are slightly increasing and additional measures are being put in place i cannot see us having any season at all unless a vaccine is found in the next 8-10wks. That would take us to mid October, there is then the period to get players visas etc sorted which is another 8 weeks. So realistically nothing before January 2021.

UK ice hockey needs fans inside the buildings to cover costs. I dont think the Devils, with say 1000 fans in the arena, could survive and put the same product on the ice. There would have to be player cuts, wages cut and housing costs too i would suspect. The owners of the ice pads will not survive with no income and without financial support for another 6-9mnths.

I just hope we dont end up with a league of 4/5 teams as that will set UK ice hockey back many many years.