New Coach.....

Mazzoak

The signings have nothing to do with the coach, the club want these signings and that’s what counts, at the moment you and everyone else don’t know who the coach is. He will inherit the signings we have made and that’s that he has to work with what he has, that’s the way it works.
In this current situation l doubt players have a lot of options to be honest, if their not being approached.

moggy#9

That may be true, but that was a junior League. I would be very wary of a coach with a losing record and no experience in coaching men, and no experience outside North America.

ASHIPP

In North America it's the General Manager who does the majority of recruitment and negotiating of player contracts. Am sure discussions before the end of last season would have taken place regarding which of the current roster to re-sign/want to return, and any potential target players elsewhere. Head coach would have or will have some input at some stage but his main role is what it says on the tin - coaching.

Mazzoak

That may be true, but that was a junior League. I would be very wary of a coach with a losing record and no experience in coaching men, and no experience outside North America.
Well there wasn’t much proof of Lords coaching ability, they rolled the dice on him. As for teaching kids, from what I’ve heard there isn’t a whole lot of difference, in fact many teams the kids are far more mature and less arrogant, you may have a point, I’d stick with the kids ..........

Mazzoak

In North America it's the General Manager who does the majority of recruitment and negotiating of player contracts. Am sure discussions before the end of last season would have taken place regarding which of the current roster to re-sign/want to return, and any potential target players elsewhere. Head coach would have or will have some input at some stage but his main role is what it says on the tin - coaching.
Hmmm. My understanding is the coach is in constant talks with the GM towards the end of each season. Depending on who is staying leaving, the coach advises the style etc of player that is needed. The GM than works with scouts & agencies to source players, his objective is to fit budgets around availability of such players. Ultimately it’s the GM who signs off, it’s a consensus based decision, it’s not the GM rocking up one day with a group of guys he‘s picked & the coach is left to sort out.

Devil94

It often is. As seen by Tom Barrasso when he was in Sheffield, he didn't want anything to do with recruitment, just wanted to coach players signed for him. In fact, that's why he turned down a second season because he would have had to recruit his players. That's normal for a lot of coaches.

Ocko

Hmmm. My understanding is the coach is in constant talks with the GM towards the end of each season. Depending on who is staying leaving, the coach advises the style etc of player that is needed. The GM than works with scouts & agencies to source players, his objective is to fit budgets around availability of such players. Ultimately it’s the GM who signs off, it’s a consensus based decision, it’s not the GM rocking up one day with a group of guys he‘s picked & the coach is left to sort out.
Are you just guessing to try and play Devils advocate? What league are you actually talking about?

NHL and AHL are certainly not consensus based decisions. The coach has next to no input and I’ve heard that from the horses mouth of Rod Brind’Amor of the Hurricanes last year. Players have been taken from the line up of teams and traded on game day for years by GMs with coaches having no knowledge of it. The coach might say I think we need this type of player or this is what I think we are lacking. But that’s it. He would be told to stay in his lane if he was too involved. They are pretty much given their team and told to crack on.

ECHL coaches do have more input, but that’s largely due to budgetary constraints of not having many scouts and less managerial positions. They also don’t have to deal with the call ups of those on NHL contracts, veteran rules, waivers etc.

osh

Fair comment regarding NHL system, however, we are not talking about the highest level of hockey in the world, we are talking about the EIHL and as said before, a coach in our league would certainly want to bring in players he is familiar with if at all possible ( if they meet budget restraints etc ) and not just inherit a squad that might not fit with his particular game plans or style of play.
A question I would ask is, do you think management also look more in favour of bringing in players who are single rather than those who are married with families ? I only ask as it would help with costs ( accommodation, flights etc )

moggy#9

Fair comment regarding NHL system, however, we are not talking about the highest level of hockey in the world, we are talking about the EIHL and as said before, a coach in our league would certainly want to bring in players he is familiar with if at all possible ( if they meet budget restraints etc ) and not just inherit a squad that might not fit with his particular game plans or style of play.
A question I would ask is, do you think management also look more in favour of bringing in players who are single rather than those who are married with families ? I only ask as it would help with costs ( accommodation, flights etc )
I have no special knowledge of the situation, but I would hope that the main two considerations would be a coach who is capable and willing to commit to the devils for a few seasons. Having a family and willing to set down roots may well be consistent with that. I've said it before, I'll say it again - I have complete faith in Todd and the owners. They are respectively the best GM and ownership in the league.

Gazr76

Carolina just isn’t a hockey area. I toured there with my team last year and even when the Canes were having a good season last year their average attendance was still 3k short of capacity - one of their best on record, but that was with a very entertaining team. Previous years the average was not much above being half full.

The Swamp Rabbits will always be a team that will struggle; they’ll probably float in and out of existence over the years as many teams in non hockey areas do.

They’ll also have to fight with the Canes for fans and there will only be one winner. Greenville is about 3-4 hours from the PNC arena, if you’re a hockey fan you’ll more often than not choose the travel and NHL hockey over ECHL in an empty arena. Especially seeing as Canes tickets are very reasonable by NHL standards.
Ocko, thanks for this. Interesting. What's the difference in the cost of a NHL ticket for the Canes vs ECHL for the Swamps?

Ocko

Ocko, thanks for this. Interesting. What's the difference in the cost of a NHL ticket for the Canes vs ECHL for the Swamps?
Average price for the Canes is about $50-60 for a fairly decent seat if you want a ticket in the nosebleeds it can be as low as $20. ECHL on average is like $20-30 I’m not sure specifically Greenville though. Clearly the Canes can go up considerably. But equally you can sometimes get a bargain.

Rempel16

Sometimes wannabe talks silly.

Of course the coach will want his own players.

He says the club want these signings and that’s all that counts.
Well the new coach will be part of THIS CLUB so his opinion will matter
Traditionally in hockey it is the GM that sources and makes the signings. The coach does exactly what his title says - coaches. A new coach will be very much used to this set up and therefore your 'of course the coach will want his own players' comment doesn't necessarily ring true. So maybe Wannabe has more of a handle and talks less 'silly' than you might think

Traditionally in hockey it is the GM that sources and makes the signings. The coach does exactly what his title says - coaches. A new coach will be very much used to this set up and therefore your 'of course the coach will want his own players' comment doesn't necessarily ring true. So maybe Wannabe has more of a handle and talks less 'silly' than you might think
Todd did say in one of his interviews that the coach will need to have recruitment experience and this will be part of his role

kingmo19.1

I saw Paul Thompson in Penarth Tesco’s earlier today! Just saying. Don’t shoot the messenger.
Would we ?
Could we ?
Better the Devil you know ?
One season and see how it goes ?