Rumour mill

august04

Surprised how many people are underwhelmed by the possible return of Ben Davies. I’ve always been a huge fan of the energy he brings. I think we could do a lot worse than Ben on our 3rd/4th line.
Totally agree. I’d love to see him back in the Devils line-up and he would certainly give us more speed and jump.

jenks33

Surprised that a few people have said they would take Owen Griffiths over Ben Davies due to age/money. Let’s not forget that Ben is still only 29, he’s going to be an elite league player for at least another 3 or 4 years. We’re not talking about signing a 34 year old Brit here.
Also a couple of people have mentioned that Griffiths and Davies would get similar points for us. Not sure about that. Davies has scored 61 points over the last 2 seasons and Griffiths has managed 24. Now I know davies has had more icetime but there’s a reason for that, he’s the finished article. In my opinion I’m still not convinced that Griffiths is going to be a third liner that can get you 30 points every season (which Davies is) or if he’s going to be a 4th liner that gets you 10/15 points a season.

kingmo19.1

Ignoring the deluded one for a moment and returning to the Ice Hockey side of things .... I think Ben would be a solid signing, proven in this league, dependable and a pretty robust player. Forget the past, whatever happened is history now. Our Brit pack is ageing (esp Myers and Richie) so maybe some succession planning is in progress.

Surprised that a few people have said they would take Owen Griffiths over Ben Davies due to age/money. Let’s not forget that Ben is still only 29, he’s going to be an elite league player for at least another 3 or 4 years. We’re not talking about signing a 34 year old Brit here.
Also a couple of people have mentioned that Griffiths and Davies would get similar points for us. Not sure about that. Davies has scored 61 points over the last 2 seasons and Griffiths has managed 24. Now I know davies has had more icetime but there’s a reason for that, he’s the finished article. In my opinion I’m still not convinced that Griffiths is going to be a third liner that can get you 30 points every season (which Davies is) or if he’s going to be a 4th liner that gets you 10/15 points a season.
I think that’s a pretty solid assessment. Both players have a lot going for them but Ben has the experience, speed and strength. Despite his size, Ben is an elite athlete and surprisingly strong. Very difficult to knock off the puck and rarely gets hit. His defensive game has improved over the years and his hockey awareness is exceptional. You only have to rewatch THAT goal against France to see how well he reads the play and pulls off a very difficult finish under a lot of pressure .

moggy#9

I don't think that davies' value as a clutch player should be overlooked. He proved playing for GB that he could handle a pressure situation. When you're building a team intended to win championships, that's exactly what you need.

Rempel16

Great post, and a worthy comeback. But do you think that his points return / contribution is worth paying 'Premium Brit' money for? Though as i'm typing this it's just dawned on me that there is one less import next year.... In which case i'm swaying towards thinking he's good signing if we don't have to dilute our quality elsewhere in order to get him.

BostonBart22

Thread starter #151
Over 200 more people died yesterday , Social distancing is going to be here for a long long time, this deadly virus is still that, deadly and we may not have even seen the worse yet, and to say we will have a season believe you, what the hell are you talking about. We are far far from being out of the woods, this could just as easily be the beginning not the end. I like everyone want this nightmare to go away, but to make a statement that lockdown is over is a total farce.
With you on this one, look at those nutters in london last night, hundreds at a rave party, and the poor 50 0r 60 police breaking it up risking their lives and their families lives for this scum...so yes the virus is not going anywhere.

pjj365

As I said I would take Griffiths for a future prospect not for an immediate return - for that it would be Davirs. There are few under 25 Brits of quality about and Griffiths p would give us that for a couple of years and he will improve

jenks33

As I said I would take Griffiths for a future prospect not for an immediate return - for that it would be Davirs. There are few under 25 Brits of quality about and Griffiths p would give us that for a couple of years and he will improve
I would argue though that if Andrew Lord sees Duggan and Rutkis having a future at the Devils then there’s no point signing Griffiths. That means you’ll have 21, 22 and 23 year old forwards on your books and there’s no chance they will get enough ice time. Griffiths has struggled for ice time at Guildford so he would get less at cardiff.
They way I would look at it is if Griffiths does develop into a very good player by the age of 25/26 then you can go in for him. Chances are he would want to sign for cardiff with him being a local lad. There’s no chance he’s going to get enough icetime at cardiff to develop

jenks33

Great post, and a worthy comeback. But do you think that his points return / contribution is worth paying 'Premium Brit' money for? Though as i'm typing this it's just dawned on me that there is one less import next year.... In which case i'm swaying towards thinking he's good signing if we don't have to dilute our quality elsewhere in order to get him.
If we have (or are going to) sign Davies then I think It will be on our terms. I’m sure Davies has been keen on signing for cardiff in the past 5 years but the wages + the icetime he wants have been an issue. He will certainly be more expensive than Griffiths but I doubt his wages are ridiculous. I wouldn’t be surprised if Davies has got to the stage of his career where he’s happy to have a bit less ice time it means winning silverware. He’s 29 and won nothing