The future of the Elite League and its teams

matbur

Thread starter #1
I don't wish to be negative during these difficult times and although I'm not a pessimist, I am a realist. It's with that in mind I'm posting to air my worries about the uncertainties the current situation creates for the league and the teams.

As we all know UK ice hockey is, as a minority sport, a delicate product but one which has shown growth during the last decade. Despite that, I'm quite fearful that moving forward the resilience of the EIHL is going to be severely tested and I'm not sure if it is strong enough to survive. It's not a concern exclusive to ice hockey of course and other sports (both rugby codes and lower level football spring to mind) are under similar threat.

Losing the back end of the season as we have done is a hit the league and clubs are collectively big enough to absorb but moving forward, I'm not so sure and am pretty worried. Nobody knows exactly how the virus will pan out and I'm not pretending to be some expert here, but what does seem quite clear is that after we are through this peak, we will a) have to somehow incorporate long-term social distancing responsibilities into normal everyday life and b) there will be a continued threat of further outbreaks. It is not unrealistic to think that this these two points are going to cause governments, businesses, local authorities and the general public endless headaches until the vast majority of the population are vaccinated. At which point that will be nobody has any idea but 12 months to create and rollout a vaccine across the entire world would probably be hopeful at best, although again, nobody knows so it could be earlier or later. Far later even.

Considering the risks, until the point where we are scientifically safe from the virus, I cannot see how the government and local authorities will be able to let large crowds to congregate. Again, I don't know this and am not scaremongering but let's be realistic considering everything we do know so far. This will obviously raise massive worries for sports where TV income is not the majority source of income, of which the EIHL and teams fall right under. There is no major TV deal that the league can fall back on and the biggest source of income for teams is easily gameday attendance. Yes, the teams all have their own individual sponsorship deals but these will not be their main source of revenue and without ticket sales they will quickly become unsustainable.

The league and teams cannot comment or speculate for obvious reasons, but the idea we will be able to return to normal life in the months following the lockdown period is absurd. There will have to be longer-term social distancing restrictions in place to reduce risks and although I will most definitely be delighted to be proved wrong, I personally cannot see any sport returning as a spectator sport for a very long time and the EIHL clubs are going to face an enormous struggle to continue.

As I said at the top, I'm not purposefully trying to be negative. I think I raise some very valid concerns which are worthy of sensible discussion.

kingmo19.1

I echo your concerns there. I can’t see anything taking place is an enclosed arena even with social distancing. The game changer is the antibody test which will (hopefully) proved whether you’ve had it (coupled with proof you can’t get it again). If the aforementioned takes an eternity, I fear for a number of teams. If we don’t start again come August then I fear for the league in its current format.

Kevlar68

Its all unknown which is the problem. New virus, many different symptoms, effecting people in different ways, it has been found you can catch it again as the odd case of that has been registered, could be a year for a vaccine and what happens when it slows down, we still wouldn't know who has it and who doesn't throughout the whole population so the spread could just continue.
Such difficult times without any real hard answers.

There are fears for everybody in these times not just the ice hockey league. I understand the concern for our team and the EIHL but looking at the bigger picture there are self employed fans and working fans who have more troubles on their mind than the ice hockey, businesses, jobs, mortgages, loans etc.
If i'm being honest the last thing on my mind at the moment is the ice hockey but the forum is a nice distraction.
I have my own business, i have a family, i'm helping out with some part time essential work until i can sort my business out after lockdown.

Last edited:

Wannabe2

We understand that Kev, I am one of them, but this is a hockey forum to talk about hockey, there’s another page to talk about other stuff, it’s a interesting question.

matbur

Thread starter #5
Hi Kev, family and personal circumstances are indeed absolutely bigger than hockey and the concerns people are facing stretch far wider than sport. As far as we as fans are concerned, the Devils and hockey plays a big part in our lives but it is purely in a recreational aspect.

My post was from that very perspective and not reflective on life as a whole.

Kevlar68

Just my opinion on the problem facing the league was that we all have our problems and the league will come through this in one way or another like the other ice hockey leagues but its not my major concern.

Teams can't be living game by game surely and players are on short contracts so would there be money enough to sustain clubs until they can restart the season?
We only had i think 4 home games left so revenue loss would be at a minimal, it would have been so much worse if it was half way through the season. Shirt Auctions are still happening, SOHB are still happening so there is still a little source of revenue going in and Devils fans have been supportive many times before in the past when our backs are against the wall and i'm sure we'll do the same again. That's one thing about red army is we would do anything to keep this great club going.

As for the EIHL itself i would think that would be in a secure position to continue whenever the lockdown is lifted.

matbur

Thread starter #7
I don't think lifting the lockdown means attending hockey games becomes viable though.

Purely speculation on my behalf, but I don't see us being be able to attend a sports arena until next year at the earliest.

pjj365

It's an interesting subject which I'm sure many are pondering

In my mind I'm not really expecting any hockey this year yet I have a 20/21 ST. I'm sure I'm not alone in being a contradictory human being.

The financial consequences to all clubs, with a number of people who have bought STs already, if there is only half a season do not bear thinking about. Refunds will be needed with the only counter savings being no player contracts signed until there is more certainty but can clubs wait for that certainty to sign contracts.

Kevlar68

I agree, mass gatherings i think will be a no no for a while yet. its not even like they could sell all seats 2 metres apart side, side, front and back as then you got to social distance throughout the arena which would never work.
The only way at all is closed games with streaming which isn't great i know but its something if it looked financially viable.
The whole season ticket thing may have been a bit in haste as there would have been plenty of time to sort them once lockdown was lifted as the league would then have to sort the fixtures, may have been weeks to get that part sorted.
Now with ST being sold already there may be need as said for refunds which is an even bigger headache.

Wannabe2

I have bought my season tickets, I think the club needs to get an idea how many people will be renewing to get a idea what budget we will have, and that’s fair enough.

Kevlar68

I think the big problem with season tickets is that games were missed out from them this season already, then if the season is shortened next time due to dates then that's less games for the price so it will be an endless knock on effect and i guess refunds would have to be given anyway which would then have to come out of that budget.
Where as if ST were put on hold until a definitive season was announced then they would know that budget is fully secured.
Bit of a damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Another factor now will be peoples income and budgets while not working, that could effect sales.

Last edited:

BostonBart22

I don't think lifting the lockdown means attending hockey games becomes viable though.

Purely speculation on my behalf, but I don't see us being be able to attend a sports arena until next year at the earliest.
And that would apply to pubs, clubs, cinemas, resaurants, cafes, the list is endless

kingmo19.1

I fear while Social Distancing is in effect there will be no ice hockey whatsoever. Apart from fans, social distancing also applies to players plus support staff, rink employees etc.

We could easily lose part of not all of the forthcoming season. When things resume, the ice hockey landscape in Britain could be much changed in terms of teams and import levels.
(Sorry for the doom and gloom scenario).

Last edited:

matbur

Thread starter #14
And that would apply to pubs, clubs, cinemas, resaurants, cafes, the list is endless
I think in practical terms it's easier to contain lower numbers and spacing in cafes etc. The impact is potentially pretty mind-blowing when you think about it. There's pressure to return to normal but risks are enormous if we, as a society, are too naive and right precautions aren't put in place.

You can get a rough idea of what might happen by following the exit strategy’s of the other big European countries. Germany announced today, “Large public gatherings including religious services will remain banned until 31 August. Bars, cafes, restaurants, cinemas and music venues will all remain closed.”

kingmo19.1

If Social Distancing remains an on-going issue, we could always open up the Gantry! You could get 5,000 fans up there and they'd all be at least 100m apart from each other!

If the above is a non-starter, then I present to you solution number 2 .... Welcome to the BBOR (Big Blue Outdoor Rink), yes, we build a new outdoor rink on the site of the old BBT!

Gotta think outside the box!

Temme

If Social Distancing remains an on-going issue, we could always open up the Gantry! You could get 5,000 fans up there and they'd all be at least 100m apart from each other!

If the above is a non-starter, then I present to you solution number 2 .... Welcome to the BBOR (Big Blue Outdoor Rink), yes, we build a new outdoor rink on the site of the old BBT!

Gotta think outside the box!
Freeze the water in the barrage ;)