Devils Vs Giants - 23/24 Nov 19 - League

moggy#9

To be perfectly honest Moggy, myself and a few friends in private have joked about the difference between what we saw when 'Belfast' Riley came to the rink, and what we've seen so far from 'Cardiff Riley'. (please don't think i'm bashing the player as that's the last thing i'm trying to do).
There's a couple of things we've established though (well, *think* would be a better word).

1) Injury - he picked up a nasty injury early on, and took a couple of weeks out of the squad as a result
2) Coaching - Is he being preached to backcheck HARD firstly, and finish checks second? (This is a question nobody can answer)
3) Different style of play - similar to coaching - Keefe likes crash bang, Lord likes skill and finesse - both have been effective in league titles and 1st/2nd places so not knocking that.

And finally, his production IS there, is it on par with "Belfast" Riley's production? No. But then, is that his fault? - The team around him isn't producing at last years rate either, so that's more of a collective than anything, also, another year older, a new team, new teammates, new rink...

Similarly; and again - i'm just spouting ideas; Lord seems to get guys working as a collective far more than any other coach; I'd be fascinated to see the ice time between individual guys so far this season per game, as it feels like we roll our lines very equally between 1-2-3 and for the most part line 4 also.

Was this the case in Belfast last year? Did they roll 1-2 very heavily?

And my final favourite stat - 2016-2017 (One win away from the clean sweep in PO Final)
Not one single player broke 20 goals in the regular season.
(As near as makes no difference) - no player broke the point per game mark through the season
The GOAT managed 'only' 53 points - 14 less than any other season as a Devil.
All fair points.

moggy#9

For me we just look like we have zero confidence and some guys do seem to be coasting more because they just seem to be out of ideas.

I loved the idea of Riley signing and we all know what he is capable of but since his injury he has been half the player. Faryna arguably not as talented but had more piss and vinegar than anyone I've seen since Lordo himself on the ice. This is what we are missing this season someone who can lead by example and change the game. Only God knows how much louder the noise from block 13 would be if we had someone like Faryna or Lordo out there!!! The place would erupt.

Morrissonn is a superb pick up and for anyone to judge a guy who has played with Ovi for a few seasons after 2 games needs to have a talk with themselves! The guy clearly isn't here for the £££££ as hes done pretty well for himself over his career. He will get better and better as the days go by and will standout for us imo.

We need a boost in speed and physicality....can we get this from our current roster?!?! I really am struggling to see where it will come from to be honest because we have been in a slump since the CHL and quite frankly it hasn't improved which is worrying for me. As soon as we get an injection of this from whatever route Lord decides to take to obtain it then the goals will come.
I would love to have an Ian McIntyre or Paxton schulte (one of my favourite non devils ever) on this team. The comments on this are right though, much of this is around team style and coaches orders. It is frustrating though when you're waiting for that "something" to happen.

Wannabe2

For me we just look like we have zero confidence and some guys do seem to be coasting more because they just seem to be out of ideas.

I loved the idea of Riley signing and we all know what he is capable of but since his injury he has been half the player. Faryna arguably not as talented but had more piss and vinegar than anyone I've seen since Lordo himself on the ice. This is what we are missing this season someone who can lead by example and change the game. Only God knows how much louder the noise from block 13 would be if we had someone like Faryna or Lordo out there!!! The place would erupt.

Morrissonn is a superb pick up and for anyone to judge a guy who has played with Ovi for a few seasons after 2 games needs to have a talk with themselves! The guy clearly isn't here for the £££££ as hes done pretty well for himself over his career. He will get better and better as the days go by and will standout for us imo.

We need a boost in speed and physicality....can we get this from our current roster?!?! I really am struggling to see where it will come from to be honest because we have been in a slump since the CHL and quite frankly it hasn't improved which is worrying for me. As soon as we get an injection of this from whatever route Lord decides to take to obtain it then the goals will come.
That is a very good post, and a good read.

august04

It has been debated for a few years as to whether our players are on a leash and being told to refrain from physical play. The style we’ve seen since Lord stopped playing made me wonder where this was coming from, as it’s been stated that the owners want a more physical game from us. The decision to scratch a fit Mark Louis against our toughest opponent, would suggest that Lord really is dictating this policy, which frankly, I hate. This is not the Devils way and in my view, not what the majority of fans want to see. I believe we can see a faster, more physical brand of hockey from the current roster - if the coach allows them to play that way.

Temme

Frustrating one that, if he picks up a misconduct on the night I doubt they'd have added any extra.

It's a bog standard stick slash that 99.9% of players do when backchecking and a guy makes a pass, but Reddox's head is low and Benti catches him up high.

Unnecessary play, no arguments with a 1 game ban.

jimmy snels

I think so, it certainly used to, up to your allowed bench size. I wouldn't expect to see Piggot though I assume he's not close to match fit now ?
even if he played 5 shifts against shuffs 4th line its keeping other legs fresh.
was more thinking of filling up the bench to keep us to bench limit

Mazzoak

Our September team are happy to remain as the no risk I’m going to be retired fairly soon, take the money for minimum effort nobody gets fired cosy gig team.
Sheffield will be looking at last weekend and when they stop laughing will probably feel very confident.

I’ll play Devils advocate and predict we come out all guns blazing and beat them 4-2.

voth26

I think we should ditch the game plan and let the guys work it out between themselves on the ice, what's the worst that can happen we lose the game!! Been doing that with a game plan

ASHIPP

I think we should ditch the game plan and let the guys work it out between themselves on the ice, what's the worst that can happen we lose the game!! Been doing that with a game plan
Yes can't be worse than this last weekend. Adversity usually brings out the best... Lord could do well to remember a trip to Belfast a couple of seasons ago. Three imports down (I think Hotham and 1 other were suspended and we had one player injured). Devils were not favorites to win that game but they did.

Forget the perfect goal and textbook moves, let the players play their natural game and who knows what will happen.