Devils Vs Giants - 23/24 Nov 19 - League

kingmo19.1

You could substitute our current first line forwards for Brad Gratton, Trent Andison and Todd Gillingham and nobody would be any the wiser !

Sport at the end of the day is a business and in business if you don't perform you tend to get spoken to, then warned then dismissed!

Belfast, Sheffield, Nottingham, Glasgow etc seem fine with the above approach and it keeps players on their toes and competition for places healthy.

Jeez, when signing for Cardiff it's almost like knowing your safe for the entire year because the management have a paranoia not to fire anyone. Now that's worked well in the past albeit with better quality players - but what happens this year ???

What we've recruited/retained isn't good enough, so do the management send out the message that we'll stick by sub-standard players no matter what or do they take the bull by the horns and try to turn a failing situation around ????

Answers on a postcard to the Viola arena!

Hedd Wyn John

A key moment for me was Linglet’s tripping penalty in the 2nd. It was 1-1 and I thought we were on top at the time. Somebody mentioned he was elbowed just before it but he can be very petulant for an experienced player. His silly penalties are really costing us. Giants scored from the resulting PP and it was all downhill from there. Having said all that I don’t think we deserved to win either game.
Linglet is having a mare of a season. He's a shadow of the player he was last year. That sad he isn't the only one with discipline issues. Linglet, Jardine & marjamaki are all getting stuck in the box waaaay too often.

moggy#9

You could substitute our current first line forwards for Brad Gratton, Trent Andison and Todd Gillingham and nobody would be any the wiser !

Sport at the end of the day is a business and in business if you don't perform you tend to get spoken to, then warned then dismissed!

Belfast, Sheffield, Nottingham, Glasgow etc seem fine with the above approach and it keeps players on their toes and competition for places healthy.

Jeez, when signing for Cardiff it's almost like knowing your safe for the entire year because the management have a paranoia not to fire anyone. Now that's worked well in the past albeit with better quality players - but what happens this year ???

What we've recruited/retained isn't good enough, so do the management send out the message that we'll stick by sub-standard players no matter what or do they take the bull by the horns and try to turn a failing situation around ????

Answers on a postcard to the Viola arena!
Goodness, add Robert millette and John brill and you'd have a who's who of the worst ever devils signings.

jenks33

Funnily enough I was only thinking to myself tonight how much mcmonagle had improved since the CHL (his point production in the league bears this out). I also thought that jardine was much more controlled, though with a long way to go. I've been impressed with Haddad and McNamee. It's the stars (langlet, Riley and even Martin) who seem to be having the issues. Masi has shown flashes of what he has, but not consistently. I can't help but feel that if we still had sointu this weekend he might have sparked something, but when we lost him we seemed to lose that catalyst for the team.
My biggest frustration with Mcmonagle at the moment is on the PP. To be fair it was a nice pass to Martin for our first goal against Fife but in general I think he’s been used way too much on the PP. I’m ignoring the stats as we have good players and i genuinely think some very average players would pick up points on the PP when they’ve been given as much icetime as he’s been given. I know he’s got a pretty languid style but I find his decision making very questionable at times.

moggy#9

My biggest frustration with Mcmonagle at the moment is on the PP. To be fair it was a nice pass to Martin for our first goal against Fife but in general I think he’s been used way too much on the PP. I’m ignoring the stats as we have good players and i genuinely think some very average players would pick up points on the PP when they’ve been given as much icetime as he’s been given. I know he’s got a pretty languid style but I find his decision making very questionable at times.
Interesting. I respect your opinion but, I don't know, I just feel there's something there. Perhaps if the team overall worked better it might be more evident.

Mazzoak

He's not paying!! How do you work that out? He is paying more than us lot (the fans) put together and long may he do so.
Yeah right. I think you’ll find it’s the fans buying the tickets that pay. You actually believe the Devils under Ragan had any value. If Steve paid more than a tenner, he was robbed.

BostonBart22

Says it all when louis is benched to give belfast a head start in the bullying stakes.. I really thought devils would be up for it tonight but hey ho they were worse than yesterday..after the 4th went in the devils gave up. just playing through the motions as if it was a training exercise I felt belfast were still only in 2nd gear with 2 gears to go . I said b4 something not right since kris Ackland got sacked and I said it b4 the goat is no captain. We need a new leader without doubt.

jenks33

Linglet is having a mare of a season. He's a shadow of the player he was last year. That sad he isn't the only one with discipline issues. Linglet, Jardine & marjamaki are all getting stuck in the box waaaay too often.
And Benti. I watched the match on icetime tv and from the replays they showed of the high stick on Reddox it was clumsy, selfish and dirty. Maybe I need to see it again tho. To do that at anytime is crazy but in the first 5 minutes was astonishing. I assumed our discipline was going to be good early on after the Marjamaki incident yesterday and then Benti goes and does that!

kingmo19.1

I assume that he'll be prepared to be interviewed tonight. I'd expect him to hold his tongue a little compared to what he says in the dressing room, but he needs to confront the issues.
I’ll be the standard stock quotes that get reeled out whenever we lose coupled with a worried looking frown and a few head shakes!

How refreshing it would be to hear ... I’ve given 5 of the players 2 weeks notice and if they don’t improve their out - then storm out of the interview!

That’s what most fans want to hear - action is being taken!!!

Last edited:

august04

Says it all when louis is benched to give belfast a head start in the bullying stakes.. I really thought devils would be up for it tonight but hey ho they were worse than yesterday..after the 4th went in the devils gave up. just playing through the motions as if it was a training exercise I felt belfast were still only in 2nd gear with 2 gears to go . I said b4 something not right since kris Ackland got sacked and I said it b4 the goat is no captain. We need a new leader without doubt.
I was baffled by the decision to scratch Louis in this game. What was Lord thinking? There‘s a real possibility that it will be a physical game and they’ve smashed us all over the ice already last night. ‘I know, I’ll scratch the biggest physical presence we have and the only bloke that in reality, ever does anything when the going gets tough”! Unless he was injured of course but he didn’t look injured last night.

Last edited:

moggy#9

I’ll be the standard stock quotes that get reeled out whenever we lose coupled with a worried looking frown and a few head shakes!

How refreshing it would be to hear ... I’ve given 8 of the players 2 weeks notice and if they don’t improve their out - then storm out of the interview!

That’s what most fans want to hear - action is being taken!!!
If Paul heavey had been coaching the team tonight the changing room would be utterly trashed and some of the players would have soiled themselves.