Devils Vs Giants - 23/24 Nov 19 - League

august04

Well given that masi will probably be suspended tomorrow reddick will need to play.
Not sure if slewfoot penalties get reviewed but if he’s suspended, we’ll be an import down. I’ve stated before that I think Reddick is our 7th D-man at the moment (not many agreed here and that’s fine) but there are games where I would play him for his offensive upside. I can’t see that putting him in the line up tomorrow will strengthen us at all though, against a physical, fast and hard forechecking Giants team. Defending that kind of threat is not a strong part of his game. At the moment, I‘m more worried about our misfiring forwards (and there’s quite a few of them) than the likes of Jardine. I’ve rarely seen us look so toothless in attack as we did for 50 minutes tonight and it was Fournier that almost singlehandedly clawed us back into that game tonight.

Last edited:

Mazzoak

Fournier the legend, the one that gets us out of a few games recently, absolute legend, not only for his skill but he’s ability to still be interacting with several players that are or appear to be taking the ........

jimmy snels

Much of what i think has been said. from me a few observations:
*I thought batch was our best player tonight. pope had a good game as well.
*linglet was awful, jardine not much better. linglet needs to up his work rate and get going. looks like he's coasting all season so far.
*thought slew foot call was crazy but happy to watch again and be proved wrong.
*officiating was terrible. first call on jardine he didnt touch the giant who lost an edge as a prime example.
*i thought the crowd were energised tonight.

jenks33

Bitterly disappointed. And I would have said the same had we won the game in OT. Fair play we rallied in the last 11 minutes but we were awful for the majority of that game. I had a bit of sympathy for us after the first period due to the penalties but that 2nd period was unforgivable. That wasn’t a brilliant defensive performance from Belfast it was a half hearted devils performance. I think we’ll win tomorrow’s match but we’ve got problems going forward

jenks33

Much of what i think has been said. from me a few observations:
*I thought batch was our best player tonight. pope had a good game as well.
*linglet was awful, jardine not much better. linglet needs to up his work rate and get going. looks like he's coasting all season so far.
*thought slew foot call was crazy but happy to watch again and be proved wrong.
*officiating was terrible. first call on jardine he didnt touch the giant who lost an edge as a prime example.
*i thought the crowd were energised tonight.
Great finish from Linglet for the equaliser but he’s a worry. Problem with Linglet is when he’s poor he’s not anonymous, he gives away silly penalties and his passing and positional play is all over the place

jenks33

Think we've rested the wrong d-man (assuming reddick isn't injured) Jardine is having an absolute stinker and putting us under pressure on pretty much every shift.
My issue with Jardine is he shows flashes of being decent but bottom line is he makes way too many mistakes. We’re nearly in December and that just can’t happen if we want to challenge.

moggy#9

My issue with Jardine is he shows flashes of being decent but bottom line is he makes way too many mistakes. We’re nearly in December and that just can’t happen if we want to challenge.
Fournier is going to give himself a hernia carrying this team in his back. Other than Haddad our forwards just don't seem consistent enough. I'm really wondering whether Martin is Captain material. How I'd love to have an Ivan matulik leading this team.

Belfast lost a number of games, didn't like what they saw and made changes, 2 out and 2 in. Over the years when we haven't liked the way things were going we have added to our team , but not taken away, even though must be said it has got us silverware. Sounds a bit mathematical but maybe this year, we need to make those hard decisions. At the moment I would sacrifice a few 'experienced' players for some speedy, hungry youngsters who make you sit up in your seat when they get the puck. Will that win us trophies? Who knows, but a reaction to current situation. Having said that wouldn't part with Joey Haddad and Fournier who is showing why they is so important to our team for the world. Anyway,fingers crossed for tomorrow.

kingmo19.1

All credit to Haddad this season - his work-rate is exceptional and he's reaping the rewards.

I thought the Chef might have cooked his last meal last season, but he looks a different player this year.

A fair few of the other could do we a portion of what he's eating !!!

BostonBart22

Probably couldn't see at the rink but on the livestream I noticed Louis give a shake of his gloves as if to offer someone (not sure who) out from the faceoff after Belfast went 3-0 up...offer was obviously declined and Belfast would've been stupid to have accepted at that stage.
louis offered pelich out but declined...

BostonBart22

I’d go for a couple of sackings for us. Start with the misfiring benti. Grandpa Linglet, Jardine and Hollywood Riley[/QUOT
I’d go for a couple of sackings for us. Start with the misfiring benti. Grandpa Linglet, Jardine and Hollywood Riley
Didnt know Benti played he was that anonymous, he needs to improve big time , give him a kick up his butt , he would be one to drop as a forward and put reddick up front , but i think he is lordos golden boy, so cant see it happening...

mjh

I was bored for two periods and as usual the team didn't seem motivated until they had nearly run out of time. Discipline was pants and we were on the back foot for quite a while. Didn't think Belfast looked that good. Don't get me wrong, they were better than us, but if we'd played the whole game the way we played the last 10 minutes, we would have won. Not going to be our year.

moggy#9

It's very telling that both teams sent out assistant coaches for interview. I don't imagine that either locker room was a nice place to be post game.

ASHIPP

Just felt at times we looked devoid of ideas out there when Giants were constantly pinning us in their offensive zone. It became a containment exercise rather than trying to mount an attack.

Leadership plays its part..... and that is from the coaching team as well as the captain/alternates. Too much reliance on the same small handful of players to pull something out of the bag each game (Fournier, Joey Haddad).

Still think GOAT should be club captain But someone else as on-ice captain. Joey's genius is missing recently.... too many other responsibilities?

Can anyone explain why we saw so little of the Louis-McMonagle defence pairing?

august04

Belfast lost a number of games, didn't like what they saw and made changes, 2 out and 2 in. Over the years when we haven't liked the way things were going we have added to our team , but not taken away, even though must be said it has got us silverware. Sounds a bit mathematical but maybe this year, we need to make those hard decisions. At the moment I would sacrifice a few 'experienced' players for some speedy, hungry youngsters who make you sit up in your seat when they get the puck. Will that win us trophies? Who knows, but a reaction to current situation. Having said that wouldn't part with Joey Haddad and Fournier who is showing why they is so important to our team for the world. Anyway,fingers crossed for tomorrow.
We’re too nice. I understand that we had to repair the damage of the shameful Ragan/Pope years, after which our reputation was shot in the hockey world but that was a long time ago. Our players get treated unbelievably well. I think some are too comfortable and one or two need a rocket up their arse. Personally, I‘d replace one or two forwards who are consistently misfiring but we don’t seem to have the balls to do that. I don’t agree with chopping and changing for the sake of it but we’ve taken it to the other extreme where everyone seems untouchable. There’s nothing wrong with releasing players who are not performing - that’s not unusual in the life of a pro hockey player.

moggy#9

As for benti. Cardiff is the only team in the league he would get on a top two line
This is an interesting point. I seem to remember in the summer how many fans were clamouring for his return and were very vocal when ulmer didn't come back. The simple truth is that going for experience in signings means that players will have a certain shelf life. Coaches have to judge when time is up, fans often are too sentimental. I think that benti is still making a contribution, but it's unrealistic to expect his production to be at the same level it was previously. That production gap should be getting picked up by others, and it isn't. That's the problem.

Mazzoak

Apart from a pre set plan & period break dressing room bopppkings there‘s little in the way of any direction or reaction to player & opposition in game performance. Its also a lack of player recruitment, there simply not there naturally.