Standing Area

jimmy snels

this is why i say block 11. still next to away fans. still by bownsy. but chants would carry quickly. blocks wouldnt be competing. would be a bit more unison with rest of rink.
block 4 was quieter last night. as was 3.

JC23

I wonder how many different chants you can pick up on during the highlights of last night.

Bearing in mind, that’s only 8 mins of 60, where the whole block was rocking the whole time.

I picked out at least 5.

Great stuff last night, I think any issues about not knowing the chants or other blocks being slow to join in are just about the new block bedding in and everyone getting used to it, even by the third period last night, the whole arena was starting to get it together and starting to sync up a bit better.

Block placement is an interesting one, perhaps with time it could stay in 13 and everyone will get used to it, the ideal place I suppose is block 3, 4 or 5 but the Devils would have to be extremely brave to pull the trigger on that one and take the pain and hassle that would come with it

Swarley

this is why i say block 11. still next to away fans. still by bownsy. but chants would carry quickly. blocks wouldnt be competing. would be a bit more unison with rest of rink.
Main reason block 13 was picked was because its a dead section of the arena, moving it to any other block would leave the block dead in the water I think, placement wise I think it's spot on as it gives us the chance to back Bownsy twice, get some banter with the away fans and stop the bronze end from being so dead

Thread starter #167
If numbers are interested a whole end of standing would be quite something. It was as anticipated obviously a huge success, it just needs to be bigger.

Without being divisive with football fans; something like the Devils own version of the Kop or the old Grange End.

Main reason block 13 was picked was because its a dead section of the arena, moving it to any other block would leave the block dead in the water I think, placement wise I think it's spot on as it gives us the chance to back Bownsy twice, get some banter with the away fans and stop the bronze end from being so dead
How about block 14 then, it’s right behind Bownsy for 2 periods and not right next to the away fans.

terry hunt

Before getting carried away with extra blocks standing perhaps we need to find out what sort of demand there was for standing places.

Katrina may have an idea of the number of queries made for standing.It may be worth having some sort of questionaire given to season ticket holders in the proposed areas.

terry hunt

How about block 14 then, it’s right behind Bownsy for 2 periods and not right next to the away fans.
Block 14 looks much larger than 13 so could be realistic .Attendance there seems lower than other end.
Again season ticket holders need to be consulted.Moving standing from 13 to 14 would avoid interference with visiting fans.

Swarley

Block 14 looks much larger than 13 so could be realistic .Attendance there seems lower than other end.
Again season ticket holders need to be consulted.Moving standing from 13 to 14 would avoid interference with visiting fans.
Block 14 has less seats then 13

Leave it where it is, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

ASHIPP

Extending the standing area to be much bigger is controversial. Hopefully the club would seek consensus and demand from fans for that to happen. Many many people sitting down who absolutely loved Block 13 performance on Saturday.... the volume was perfect and had the desired effect on the rest of the crowd who were joining in....... But ramp up that noise until its so deafening will spoil some other people's enjoyment of the game.

Gazza272

Talking to friends and a family who sit in Block 6, they loved the section, but want to now learn the words, and also felt with the way the sound carries, some blocks on their side were a bit out of time.

so maybe we need some fan conductors at points of the opposite ends to keep a few blocks in time with the chants, i'm fully confident the majority of the arena can get on board with the chants given time.

Gough60

Hats off to Block 13. Fantastic performance all through the game. You lot did get the rest of the arena joining in with the known chants of "LETS GO DEVILS......" & "DEVILS, clap clap clap". I'm sure as soon as time goes on and the words to other chants are known the place will bounce & rock as you lot did on Saturday.

Earnie

To have another block of 'standers' located somewhere else would not work. It would be impossible to synchronise the movement and sound.
It was great the way it was. I would leave it at that for now.

Lord has said 2 blocks for this weekends games. Off ice staff will be busy this week.

Any more than 2 blocks and this could go wrong leave it as it is it worked fine
I think that tweet from Lord has just put the office staff into a flat spin, I haven't seen them say it was next week too, I thought it was a test this week then work it out for the future.

If there is enough demand to fill block 13 and 14 then I think they should try that out but I agree with you that 2 blocks would probably be the right amount for our rink.

I don't know exactly how many seats are in a block but say for example there's 300 over 2 blocks, the Devils could say we'll take a list of names work out demand, all names need to be with them by the Wednesday before a weekend game, minimum of 275 people to open 2 blocks, any less and only 1 block will be used and the first 150 go in

Koop11

Can’t fault the effort from the fans standing in block 13 on the weekend. It helped to create a great atmosphere in a pretty boring game. The ‘trail’ has proved to be a huge success. It will be interesting to see what the club’s intentions are going forward after this trail. Will it be sectioned off for big games or a permanent thing….Time will tell.

jimmy snels

i would have thought 95% of those in block 13 are season ticket holders. no one has mentioned it but there would be a significant drop in revenue from season ticket holders if 300 plus moved from gold/silver sections to the bronze area.
it also throws up an argument that many of us would love to join the Block 13 crew but simply my view of the end we attack twice is superior. im not sure and im still debating if im ok with this.