Pre-season and CHL ticketing

pjj365

Thread starter #1
Ticketing for the above is to be announced later this week So, let's get the debate started rather than complain after the event
I would suggest we need to consider two things:

1)The club is a business and IIRC Tod has said in the past these games are not necessarily money spinners
2)The games are traditionally poorly attended for reasons well aired in the past on this forum and across social media

I'm sure we all agree that what is needed is for the club to maximise revenue and to generate support - particularly for CHL games. Thus this becomes a pricing/advertising issue

I get the problem with pricing - it's a volume vs margin issue. Pricing at the “correct” level though could enable some end of summer cash strapped families to attend and with the right publicity attract newbies, and maybe tourists, for an unusual end of summer event/series of events

On that basis here are my thoughts. Play around with the figures all you want, shoot me down, rationalise the argument but this is just illustrative and, obviously, I have no background information on club costs to support my pricing ideas. With those caveats I could see:

1)Flat rate ticket price across the whole arena say £10
2)A reduction of £1 per game if all games bought as a package
3)Season ticket holders (tickets to reserve seats) priced at £9 with the same £1 discount - time limited to take advantage of this
4)No booking fees or at least charge a per transaction fee not per ticket
4)Maybe some incentive for those supporters traveling to CHL away games
5)No concessions except young persons at £5 with no further discounts

As for publicity there is obviously social media which should include Wales on Line and https://www.list.co.uk/events/location:Cardiff(51.4816,-3.1750)/ This would broaden the scope to include local hotels, what's on Cardiff and others. It should reach some visitors, maybe the bored local and some supporters who are not on social media and do not expect hockey in August/September

So there you have it. No rocket science and I'm sure there's nothing here that the club have not considered but I hope that by starting the debate now we might see fewer post next week complaining about pricing. After all complaining post the event is futile

Kevlar68

I think that your over thinking it to be honest and you'll never get a complain free forum, how boring would that be if it's all sunshine and rainbows. Conversation, objection and agreement make this forum as good as it is

The Devils have a marketing department who are obviously trained and work in that field of pricing, advertising etc so they will know from previous seasons ticket sales/attendance and base future marketing and pricing around those facts along with taking in to account running costs of the team and rink.

pjj365

Thread starter #3
I think that your over thinking it to be honest and you'll never get a complain free forum, how boring would that be if it's all sunshine and rainbows. Conversation, objection and agreement make this forum as good as it is

The Devils have a marketing department who are obviously trained and work in that field of pricing, advertising etc so they will know from previous seasons ticket sales/attendance and base future marketing and pricing around those facts along with taking in to account running costs of the team and rink.
I didn't say no posts - as you say the forum would be boring without interaction

Your last paragraph mirrors my last paragraph - has the forum failed because we agree!!!!

Kevin roog

I would have given the choice of adding the extra games to the season ticket and paying a bit extra. I pay for 5 season tickets by direct debit and can only afford to go to one chl game . If the season ticket was say £30 extra a month that would be better

BostonBart22

Correct me if i am wrong are we 3 games down on last seasons season ticket games as MK have defunked , and i believe there will be 7 pre season games..like the idea pjj 365..myself i would go with CHL games 12.00 each across the board or 3 for 33.00 ..and the 4 other pre season games 10.00 each across the board .buy all 4 get one free..just a thought..

pjj365

Thread starter #6
Have to say I like the idea of adding the 3 CHL games to ST

It would be a reward for CHL travelling fans the majority of whom I guess are ST holders. It might also encourage ST holders who find the extra games a financial stretch - thus giving better support

But given CHL participation is costly (per Todd) and there is no guarantee that we will make the 1/4s of cup and playoff and thus the semi in the cup there is no guarantee of income down the line so this might be a step too far

Meridian

Correct me if i am wrong are we 3 games down on last seasons season ticket games as MK have defunked , and i believe there will be 7 pre season games..like the idea pjj 365..myself i would go with CHL games 12.00 each across the board or 3 for 33.00 ..and the 4 other pre season games 10.00 each across the board .buy all 4 get one free..just a thought..
We are 3 games down on last season, but we already had to pay for the 3 extra games last year I believe? So can't see this having any impact as the season ticket is for a set number of games not all games.

I do like the idea of adding it to the season ticket direct debit though, think that could attract quite a few.

Finny

The season ticket is for 32 games.
The league will be 27 home games this season. Last time we had a 10 team league we had 2 groups of 5 for the CC, if it's the same again that would be an additional 4 taking it up to 31.
Add in the CC QF and that is the season ticket sorted, so I can't see CHL games being included in it.

Finny

How are we defining poorly attended? I know there were issues the first season and they brought in a discount last season if you bought all the games. But looking at last years attendances they were:
Salzburg: 2356
Bern: 2958 (although I'm not sure it should be that high)
Vaxjo: 2009

So each game was more than 2 thirds full and one was nearly a sell out.
I can't see how dropping the ticket price to £10 is going to make the maths work. If you're dropping the ticket price by nearly half you need to more than double the attendance to make what you did last year. But that's impossible.

Last edited:

pjj365

Thread starter #11
How are we defining poorly attended? I know there were issues the first season and they brought in a discount last season if you bought all the games. But looking at last years attendances they were:

I can't see how dropping the ticket price to £10 is going to make the maths work. If you're dropping the ticket price by nearly half you need to more than double the attendance to make what you did last year. But that's impossible.
The OP was not just CHL but all games albeit the view "around the patch" was that CHL was poorly attended - good to have that corrected

BostonBart22

I say gantry . 5,00 a tkt standing only, get 300 plus up there ...lol

Diafol

Makes sense I suppose.

Not so Jafar for either team to travel.
Blaze will hope Panthers don't light the lamp very often.
A Genie-us decision.