2019 - 2020 Roster ...

jimmy snels

but lords team he said was set up for speed? thats the whole reason we dont play physical hockey isnt it?

personally i will be making my assessment post play offs, but i as a whole enjoyed this league season as a spectacle less than any since we were taken over. id like to see a few changes in key areas. will talk about this next week !

Kevin roog

I think we have to work out how do we match Belfast next season. After the Belfast double headers in 17 and 18 I think that put the league to bed. This season I came away thinking”they are better than us”. And there’s no way this Belfast team would let us beat them 8.1 in their own rink

ASHIPP

Undoubtedly there will be a few changes on the Devils' roster for various reasons next season. Still need a balance of speed, skill, youth, experience and leadership though. The Giants have managed that combination well this season.

BTW, on what planet is Charlie Linglet not nimble? Most opposition players could not manage him this season.

hip check

but lords team he said was set up for speed? thats the whole reason we dont play physical hockey isnt it?

personally i will be making my assessment post play offs, but i as a whole enjoyed this league season as a spectacle less than any since we were taken over. id like to see a few changes in key areas. will talk about this next week !
Would gladly sacrifice a little bit of speed for a little more beef in the line up, when Louis went with Springer I think most of the supporters were on their feet including the Storm fans.
Plenty of options to fill the team with speed merchants but think we need that edge which puts doubt into the minds of opposition players who think they'll take some liberties.

Looks like Simmsy on twitter has dismissed them signing Ben Lake.

Steelers fan posted “Ben Lake to us please”

He replied “Retire or stay in Coventry is my two pennyworth on this subject”

Might just be a playoff weekend wind up or they approached him and he wanted too much £££.

BostonBart22

Anyone else heard the rumour that Linglet has been offered an assistant player coach role for next year. Can't remember who told me but it could potentially be a good succession plan?
wonder if that will give piggot a chance to get into shape for next season especially if rumours are true that Murdy is gonna be equipment boy..

wonder if that will give piggot a chance to get into shape for next season especially if rumours are true that Murdy is gonna be equipment boy..
Purely hypothetical. Piggie has been great for us but sadly he’s no longer EIHL level. Would love to see him in a development role / structure that links the Devils, Fire & Junior Devils. However I’ve no idea how we would fund this, it’s probably just a pipedream.

pjj365

I have no insight but could Piggsie want to take his off ice career to the next level

Let's not forget he is a published cancer researcher

voth26

We could really do with some quickness upfront next year. Hedden, Haddad, Linglet, Ulmer and Batch are not the most nimble of guys.
Yet Haddad and Linglet are hard to get the puck off, Ulmer whilst not the quickest pace wise has one hell of a hockey brain and has a knack of being in the right place for the tip in. Batch is versatile like mosey and has a big body plus he's a Brit. Just my thoughts

Yet Haddad and Linglet are hard to get the puck off, Ulmer whilst not the quickest pace wise has one hell of a hockey brain and has a knack of being in the right place for the tip in. Batch is versatile like mosey and has a big body plus he's a Brit. Just my thoughts
It appears that you listed their redeeming qualities as ice hockey players. It makes absolutely no difference to the statement I made.

Teams like the Flames gave us real problems all year because of their speed. We could really do with one or two flyers. With the passing ability of Linglet, Fournier and Martin, give them a target for breakouts.

To clarify, Linglet is flat out slow in a straight line. He has great hands, but no foot speed. You can't ice a team of Linglets in the same way you can't list a team of Moseys. Balance is key.

pjj365

Don't worry guys - all the info at PlayOffs

As of now I think at least half the team have re-signed , half have been gassed and a quarter have retired. Some are leaving but staying in Cardiff because they're confused - they're in all 3 groups!

No mention of recruitment yet

jimmy snels

ok so now season is over where do you guys think we should look to change things?
I'll get the ball rolling. our 3rd line was for me missing a real identity at times with morrisette haddad duggan ulmer and pope all playing on it and never really hitting the heights of previous years. personally id like to change the dynamics of that line and get a bit more physicality on it.
On D i also thought we were a big D man short.

whats your feelings?

Last edited:

OJLloyd

I’m probably still too tired/fragile after the weekend to think things through properly, but my thoughts -

Any changes we make are likely to be of the enforced kind. Some players looking at careers outside of hockey, or simply feeling it a bit much at the end of the season.

Or, and the one I like the least, perhaps a few who get tempted elsewhere.

Goalies - I wouldn’t change Bownsy. My one thought is whether Murdy would like to get more ice time, and so might explore his options elsewhere. Lawday is a very good prospect and one I’d like to see continue as he did this year.

Defence - an area where we could see some change, even if everyone stays at the club. Mosey being a permanent forward gives us a big speed boost up front, but does leave us with a hole to fill. One I’d like us to fill with a Strachan/Blood style player. I also see Batch’s post world champs future as a forward. So Fournier, Richie, Louis, Schiestel + 2 new bodies.

Forwards - I mean there are some really obvious ‘keeps’ here. Martin, Linglet, and Dixon are probably the least controversial comments ever.
I feel very sorry for Joey Haddad with the injuries he’s had over the last 2 years, and would love to see him in full flow again.
I think Livingston has been a force in the tail end of the season, and would like to see him stay.
Duggan is here for another 2 years, and I believe Pope is in a second year next season.
The questions are around players in the latter stages of their career - do they want to continue on? Ulmer has had a great year, but does he carry on?
I’d say the forwards will look something like:
Hedden Martin Benti
Linglet Dixon Pope
Haddad Mosey Duggan
Livingston Myers Batch

I’d assume we carry a spare forward, with Mosey and Batch able to cover back, with Rutkis continuing much as he has done this year.

But who knows, I could be entirely wrong!