Blaze Vs Devils - 31 Mar 19 - League .. decider?

jenks33

I don’t have an issue with it personally. We’ve had their number for years, we’ve knocked them out of the playoffs and the challenge cup before. They finally stopped us winning something so they have every right to celebrate as much as they did tonight. Saying that, they’ve given themselves a much harder playoff tie and it’s gonna hurt them financially aswell.
Nah it’s unnecessary in my opinion. I haven’t got an issue with fans mocking us on social media. It’s to be expected. But I think that’s pretty low from an employee of another team

I said to a friend a few weeks back that although we were evenly matched skill wise with Giants, they edged it in terms of team spirit over us, and in the final stretch that can be the difference, and so it seems it was. I have no doubt that if the Giants needed to win today in Cov they would have done so (as they did so effortlessly on Wednesday).
In some ways. we may have over-achieved this season. Lord recruits very carefully and then to have two of the key recruitments in Parisi and Blood leave by Oct was a big blow. Add in that Faryna, Mick Kemp and also rumours of domestic issues off ice affecting players and it has been Lord's toughest challenge as a coach. I don't know how much those rumours are true, and I certainly won't repeat any on here, but there did seem to be some of that togetherness lacking this year. Team spirit is a fragile beast, and Lord has been excellent recruiting for it (in comparison with Thommo for instance who just seems to recruit individuals). But even so, hockey players are human beings and things can affect their game that have nothing to do with the coach.
Most teams might have faded by Jan with these impacts and we would have accepted that and put it down to not our season. Had we won I think it would have been Lord's greatest achievement. But to get to the last period of the last game, and lose out makes us underestimate what an achievement that was.
I have been frustrated like many fans that just when we've got ourselves in a position to seal it, we've wobbled - Dundee last week being a perfect example of that. But that is perhaps unfair - it is the getting to that position that has been the achievement. If at the moment a bad season is to finish level on points with the winner and qualify for Europe, then we should be thankful, because there will undoubtedly be seasons in the future when we will long for that.
Tough one today, I was nearly in tears of frustration in Coventry as we huffed and puffed. But Lord will have learnt a lot from this season, we should trust him to put it into good effect.

Swarley

These new younger fans we've gained are hard work.
Sorry but I don't class these ones as fans, blaming one player for an entire team losing is as productive as shooting yourself in the foot and then running a marathon. We lost it wasn't our night lordo did what he thought was best and it wasn't it sucks but we move on and focus on what's next.

mweller

surely winning the conference isn't mickey mouse.....you win it because you deserve it. Irritating to see some Devils fans calling play-off final mickey mouse as well.....surely that was the one you really wanted to win last season after losses in the past. There are 4 trophies up for grabs at the beginning of each season, all teams want to win them. So if you don't win them they are mickey mouse eh?
I agree the playoff is definitely not Mickey Mouse - the league is still the biggie in the UK, but I freaking loved winning the playoffs last year. The conference is a _bit_ Mickey, we won it once but lost out on the league and it no way compensated, and we never make a big deal about winning it (the Giants didn't this year either particularly, because they had their eyes on a bigger prize).

Congrats on winning the league, it's been a (ahem) Titanic struggle, and the Giants have played the more irresistible hockey. Mind you, perhaps some of your fellow fans should learn to be gracious in victory on Twitter - all Devils I've seen have been congratulating them and it's largely been snarky in return. Enjoy it fully, it is deserved, but people should remember that karma is a bitch ;)

Diablo3

OK got back from the game and my thoughts are ... Oh bugger. After last nights performance I thought we stood a chance but alas it wasn't to be. I've read some complete twaddle on here and some sensible comments. I particularly like Paul's. I am truly gutted we didn't manage it, and judging by Mr Lords interview, he is too. I hope we manage to keep him and build a roster for next season that can get the job done. I will be there ready to cheer the team on again.

matbur

Andrew Lord is a young coach learning his trade and so far he's been very good at it, despite his lack of experience.

From the outside looking in, I would guess he's learnt far more this season than he did last year. A few rotten performances earlier in the season, rumblings about one or two things not being quite as it should in the locker room, Fahiya and Blood also departing midway through.

The most disappointing aspect is the fact that we blew it from such a strong position a few weeks back, but for me, it was those one or two performances in which Andrew Lord had to admit his players weren't at it, that cost us. To lose on regulation wins is the narrowest of margins and I think Lord and the organisation will get things right again over the summer and have us pushing once again.

Yesterday's defeat, I put down to nerves. Too many players had off-days and I can only put that down to the occasion getting the better of them. Read some ridiculously misguided comments about Bowns a few pages back, glad to see the majority of posters here don't share those views.

My guess is that the players will be dwelling on that result on their rest day today and will have a team meeting on Tuesday when they return at which point the focus is all about finding a way past Sheffield. The Devils have a point to prove now.

jimmy snels

agree u cant blame one guy for our failings. that ludicrous. a number of people have been hit and miss in our forwards and D so no need to single one out.

Todd didnt look happy with both players or officials to me. some of those non calls were ridiculous.

bb1

We lost on regulation wins so we weren’t that far away. We aren’t a bad team because of one dropped point over the course of the year.

I thought we were head and shoulders at the beginning of the season but overall it’s been a tough year that we’ve actually done ok considering. Losing Blood and Faryna killed us at times where we needed that character. Whatever happened with Hotham came to bite us as well - we were a good team just missing that bit of X factor; we relied too much on Martin, Fournier and Linglet. I rate all our additions this year and think they improved us. We just have a player or two who haven’t offered what they have in previous years and based on ability would be no where near the Giants squad. Small margins.
ABSOLUTELY SPOT ON!

With the fact of only needing 3 points from playing 3 bottom teams and coming up short shows we didn't deserve the title for that historic 3rd time in a row. Belfast certainly showed they wanted it that little bit more. They played the type of hockey and showed the same heart their coach played with throughout his career......hats off to Keef and the Giants.

This season at times has been an absolute joy to watch the guys perform some unbelievable hockey played but on the flip side some poor sloppy hockey. As far as consistency goes we haven't been as consistent as I hoped we would have been.

We have had the most disruption this season than I can remember. Firstly Parise situation then losing a key D man/character in Blood, followed by Moore then Faryna (our heartbeat).........

Losing both Blood and Faryna was a huge blow and I honestly feel we would have had it wrapped up weeks ago if we hadn't lost those guys. What did shock me though was how Lord seemingly scratched Livingstone who was hitting form at a crucial last couple of games. He was tipped as a bit of an energy guy which is what we needed against Dundee and Blaze. The fact of the matter is after losing those guys we have lost CHARACTER PLAYERS, the type you need in big games when your trailing. Hotham himself was a character guy and could give the team a jump.

I feel for the likes of Martin, Linglet, Dixon, Myers, Duggan who every shift give their absolute all for the jersey. Like Ocko has said there were far too many players blowing hot and cold and at times a couple played as if they really didnt want to be here which is sad. We also have a couple of guys who look like its a season too far for them (not through lack of effort).

My fear for next season is that Lord doesn't make enough changes. I would like to see him bring in a few more younger guys who can play alongside the likes of Joey Martin, Myers, Richie & fingers crossed Linglet and Dixon. These younger players can learn from them and them whilst the likes of Joey etc... are still at the top of their games. You need to keep a good core when bringing in new & younger players otherwise it wont work (as sheffield found out!!!)

Overall it just wasn't ment to be. But watching the likes of Martin, Fournier, Linglet, Dixon this season has been a real treat.

Sliput

I can live with all that but playing the Belfast City song after the match?! I appreciate we’ve had a rivalry with Coventry over the years but that’s classless. I’d find it genuinely embarrassing if Paul Sullivan did that at our barn
That doesn't really bother me because them beating us is going to cost them a fortune.

A coach to Cardiff, 2 to 3 hundred extra tickets for next week's game.

Instead they have to pay for flights for nearly 25 people ( which won't be cheap so close to the flying date), plus a hotel for same said people, plus hanging around in airports and then about 30 to 40 away fans in Cov.

I know that sounds childish but made me smile.

:) :)

mweller

My fear for next season is that Lord doesn't make enough changes.
I think we will need to be careful - Lordo has a delicate balance to maintain. I think we'll lose more players through natural wastage (retirement, moving on) than in most seasons, maybe 5 to 7. If you then let go another 6 to 7 you can have 12-13 new faces. These take time to bed in, some won't settle, others won't work out and before you know it, you're in a Thommo death spiral of recruitment, always trying to catch up. So he'll have to see who is moving on anyway, which may sway the decision on who you keep.
(I have mentioned no names!)

pjj365

I get the gloom, yes we are gutted, yes at times last night (particularly the 3rd) we played like Duracell bunnies - but to me that shows how we wanted it

Is is sport so let's put it into perspective.Despite the season being up and down and despite losing the cup 1/4 the prized trophy is the league where:

We finished equal on points
We did not lose by one win but by one OT loss!
We were 22 points ahead of the 3rd - a massive gap

Nobody in sport has a divine right to continued success

Onwards and upwards for PlayOffs

We lost on regulation wins so we weren’t that far away. We aren’t a bad team because of one dropped point over the course of the year.

I thought we were head and shoulders at the beginning of the season but overall it’s been a tough year that we’ve actually done ok considering. Losing Blood and Faryna killed us at times where we needed that character. Whatever happened with Hotham came to bite us as well - we were a good team just missing that bit of X factor; we relied too much on Martin, Fournier and Linglet. I rate all our additions this year and think they improved us. We just have a player or two who haven’t offered what they have in no IMG-20190331-WA0001.jpg years and based on ability would be no where near the Giants squad. Small margins.

Temme

One of those nights, at the wrong time.
Fournier had an asbolute stinker - which hasn't happened once this year that i can remember.
Bowns left 1 very soft & one slightly soft goal in - no blame on Bowns here, conceding 2 goals away from home should win you games.
Only scoring one goal ultimately won't win much.

No blame can be placed on the shoulders of any of the guys i've written above, so this isn't a call out.

We needed 3 points from 3 games, against 11th, 10th & 8th and couldn't manage it.
As a collective, the team bottled something that they'd work so hard towards.

I worry going into the quarters - our form over the last 5 games is joint 9th in the league.
Sheffield's is 2nd.

Devastated isn't the word, but we go again.
On the wings of an army.

/Edit,

not aimed at anyone in particular, but Bowns finished the year .916 & 2.32GAA

AKA a career year.

He will STILL continue to be the most valuable player for any team in the EIHL, wherever he plays.

Last edited:

august04

I get the gloom, yes we are gutted, yes at times last night (particularly the 3rd) we played like Duracell bunnies - but to me that shows how we wanted it

Is is sport so let's put it into perspective.Despite the season being up and down and despite losing the cup 1/4 the prized trophy is the league where:

We finished equal on points
We did not lose by one win but by one OT loss!
We were 22 points ahead of the 3rd - a massive gap

Nobody in sport has a divine right to continued success

Onwards and upwards for PlayOffs
Not necessarily. The Thompson death spiral occurred because he recruited badly. When the new owners took over, we recruited virtually a new team in a matter of weeks, so it can be done successfully. In fact, that was one of the most enjoyable teams I’ve ever watched play for the Devils. Saying that, I don’t think we’ll see wholesale changes but I’m hoping for more than just two or three.