Ulmer banned

august04

Fair bans for both given the situation.

Some people on here and on Twitter clearly have an issue with certain players, whether they are going through a rough patch of form, allegedly not pulling their weight or not stepping up for their line-mates...

It’s clear who people are referencing, Pope. I myself having come in after he was signed wouldn’t have labelled him a “power forward” as the Devils did when they announced him, and would put Dixon and even Hedden ahead of him in that regard as they are more physical without being a simple ‘brute’.

He’s more of a creative type for me and plays in a similar role to Linglet (to be clear I’m not comparing the two in terms of points/ability).

I think he suffers from being labelled as a power forward when he isn’t.

Has he had bad patches of form? Yes. Has he coasted through some games? Maybe. Should he have stepped in following the hit? Yes, but no more so than any other player on the ice.
I don’t care how a player is labelled. The player in question is a big guy. If you see your team mate lying prone on the ice after a hit like that, you shouldn’t even have to think about doing something. Just get in there and hold on, if you have to - but get in there and do something.

Wannabe2

Thread starter #22
I don’t care how a player is labelled. The player in question is a big guy. If you see your team mate lying prone on the ice after a hit like that, you shouldn’t even have to think about doing something. Just get in there and hold on, if you have to - but get in there and do something.
Spot on, it’s this non team mate move that’s getting people’s goat, any player that sees his team mate decked, and doesn’t react should never be here. As the saying goes there is no i in team. When your 6ft 1in, and 185 lbs what’s your excuse, at least now team mates know who’s got your back, and who hasn’t.

bb1

Just remembered that’s the 3rd headshot on Mosey in as many games. Out of all 3 we’ve had one player step up. Said player wasn’t on the ice. So with 4 other team mates on the ice on 3 occasions, weve had 12 opportunities for someone to stand up for their mate but instead turned have a blind eye to 3 cheap shots. What on earth is wrong with the character of these guys? Absolutely disgusted.
Spot on, it’s this non team mate move that’s getting people’s goat, any player that sees his team mate decked, and doesn’t react should never be here. As the saying goes there is no i in team. When your 6ft 1in, and 185 lbs what’s your excuse, at least now team mates know who’s got your back, and who hasn’t.
He should have stepped in before Mo, Fourns. Pope tweeted Fenucci of Fife recently calling him a rat and insinuating he's pussy for not stepping up and fighting him after he received a slash........my logic is if you can do this on twitter because of a slash you could surely STEP UP and grab Rissling after he obliterated Mosey with a head shot.....or is my logic wrong!?!? Plus he preaches hes been abused yet he can abuse a fellow professional himself on social media. Sorry he has made a rod for his own back. I dont agree with personal insults but all I have read on twitter is that people are saying hes lazy and uninterested whilst on the ice. He may well be a great bloke off it.

I remembered people moaned when Bownsy got ran at twice and nobody reacted yet these people are defending the fact nobody reacted to the Mosey hit.

Wannabe2

Thread starter #24
Tweeting someone from behind a keyboard,and calling them a rat is far easier than facing someone full on, pot calling kettle black methinks.

BostonBart22

yes shame about ulmers ban, but right call on a par with liam kirk of mk when he left the bench in a game earlier in the season. its a shame ulmer had to do this but when the game restarted after the hit thats the time to get rissling back for his cowardly hit, whoever fought him wouldve had a 5 min fighting pen, end of , lets hope at some point b4 the season ends we play nottingham in playoffs and the dick is dealt with accordinaly in the right manner ..and both would get 5 mins for fighting ...

terry hunt

Well we could get some deja vu on Sunday.
Our old friend Armstrong will be back no doubt to do his trademark run at Bowns.
He has got away with it twice with no punishment

JC23

yes shame about ulmers ban, but right call on a par with liam kirk* of mk when he left the bench in a game earlier in the season. its a shame ulmer had to do this but when the game restarted after the hit thats the time to get rissling back for his cowardly hit, whoever fought him wouldve had a 5 min fighting pen, end of , lets hope at some point b4 the season ends we play nottingham in playoffs and the dick is dealt with accordinaly in the right manner ..and both would get 5 mins for fighting ...
Cole Shudra*

Finny

All the criticism of Pope is ridiculous. For a start how we do know he saw the hit or know who hit Mosey?

Watching back the video, the 5 players on the ice are Morissette, Myers, Livingston with Mosey and Reddick on defence.

Reds passes the puck cross ice to Mo who attacks up the left wing with Mosey in support. As this happens, Myers, Livingstone and Reds all go for a change with Martin, Pope and Fournier all coming on.
Without a wider angle it's hard to tell but I would guess the players are coming onto the ice as the hit on Mosey is made.

Pope does skate to the hit but by that time Rissling is behind the net. He gives the nearest player a shove (Farmer?) but then seems more concerned with the state of Mosey.

I have a feeling people are letting their own personal 'expert' opinion of Pope cloud their judgement on this.

mweller

Pope does skate to the hit but by that time Rissling is behind the net. He gives the nearest player a shove (Farmer?) but then seems more concerned with the state of Mosey.
Yes, I don’t think Pope is having a good spell, and his play was sloppy on Saturday but I’m not sure this criticism is justified. I think they were all really concerned about Mosey. I heard that Ulmer didn’t intend to fight, he just came on to help Mosey, but then he saw Rissling and saw red. He was probably as surprised as anyone to find himself fighting.

We don’t know if once Mosey was ok someone then would’ve dropped the gloves, but by then Ulmer had gone all Raging Bull (and credit to him!).

The ban on Ulmer is fair, I hope the devils don’t appeal it. The point is they want to prevent others doing it, so you can’t say “this time it’s ok”.

As a previous poster said the real issue is how the officials can miss something that has been made an explicit focus this season. And their inaction then made the game potentially more dangerous for others, as it boiled over.

Foxy

This might sound stupid but in a way losing Ulmer is better than losing Louis or Batch. We have already lost a D man in Mosey (cant see him being back anytime soon) but have the forwards to cover Ulmer. Saying that the hit should never have happened and had it been called on the night we might have still had Ulmer playing........ hopefully Haddad will be back soon

T10P

With regards to the Ulmer ban, if the officials did their job, Rissling would have been thrown out before Ulmer had to do what he did and we’d have him playing the next 3 games.. -.-

CaldicotDevil

This might sound stupid but in a way losing Ulmer is better than losing Louis or Batch. We have already lost a D man in Mosey (cant see him being back anytime soon) but have the forwards to cover Ulmer. Saying that the hit should never have happened and had it been called on the night we might have still had Ulmer playing........ hopefully Haddad will be back soon
Think the theory was Batch or Louis no choice Rissling at the next available chance. That way Batch or Louis would've just suffered a match penalty at the most and no suspension.

august04

All the criticism of Pope is ridiculous. For a start how we do know he saw the hit or know who hit Mosey?

Watching back the video, the 5 players on the ice are Morissette, Myers, Livingston with Mosey and Reddick on defence.

Reds passes the puck cross ice to Mo who attacks up the left wing with Mosey in support. As this happens, Myers, Livingstone and Reds all go for a change with Martin, Pope and Fournier all coming on.
Without a wider angle it's hard to tell but I would guess the players are coming onto the ice as the hit on Mosey is made.

I have a feeling people are letting their own personal 'expert' opinion of Pope cloud their judgement on this.
Pope is first on the scene (after Mo deviates!), reaching Mosey within 3 seconds of the hit, so he’s already on the ice when the hit is made. Players immediately know when a hit is wrong, you see an instant reaction usually and the gloves dropping. What did we see, nothing. That’s not on. Someone should have stepped up immediately.

Last edited:
Just curious...as a result of DOPs reviewing the incident ...what action if any regarding the 'officials' ? Do they go to a 'officials awareness' course ?

Temme

I'm glad you've posted about the line change, as i haven't checked the footage to that extent but did notice it was a broken line change, with Fourns, Mosey, Mo, Pope, Martin on the ice immediately after.

Since 2010 -

Fournier - 4 fights (+ once he was jumped and turtled)
Martin - 5 fights
Pope - 3 fights
Mo - 0 fights

Just because Matt Pope is taller and bigger, he is by no means an "Andrew Lord" style player.
See Paris, Drew if any further clarification is needed.

Regardless of what i've written above though, ALL of those guys should have been going in. Pope is having a tough time on the ice at the minute which is no secret, but calling him out specifically here is not right.

Foxy

There is a difference though from a player being hurt and a player being unconcious though. Sort your player out first, which he did and then make a decision to take action by that time Ulmer was already in there........ what i do object too is people sitting behind their keyboards again dishing out abuse. Absolutely idiotic and cowardly...........