Rumours & Offseason Nonsense 2018/19

Fitzy has no place in the devils. Far too slow. Next year is going to be a completely different league I think. The ‘tough’ guys will be even more scarce. Teams will model themselves on the Devils. Belfast went down that road this year.
But what do I know!!!

Ocko

Fitzy has no place in the devils. Far too slow. Next year is going to be a completely different league I think. The ‘tough’ guys will be even more scarce. Teams will model themselves on the Devils. Belfast went down that road this year.
But what do I know!!!
Belfast had 4 legit heavyweights in Riley, Kurtz, Martinelli and Vandemeer this season.

Wannabe2

Lots of Steelers fans wanted Fitzy back as player/ass coach, they love him there. Great with kids, loads of work in the community. Clan/ Storm

Temme

Moose seems less than happy about being released (per his twitter account and article in the star)

RE Fitzy, a real surprise he's been let go, a decent hockey player, as tough as they come & one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. Would be a huge loss to the EIHL if he leaves altogether.

This stinks a little of Paul Thompson trying to save his job by being seen to be taking action, but that's just me.

Temme

Just for completeness sakes:

Scott Aarssen
Miika Franssila
Mark Matheson
John Armstrong
Eric Neiley
Levi Nelson
Mathieu Roy (already signed)

Does that mean all remaining imports (above...) have been offered contracts for next year?

august04

I like Fitzy. He is a decent player and is as tough as anyone in this league and is an absolute warrior for his club. The outpouring of anger and disappointment from Steelers fans at his departure tells a story.
Agree with Ocko, I like Fitzy a lot considering who he played for!
I’d be quite happy to see him patrolling our blue line. He’s still a decent defenceman, solves your toughness issue straight away and he defends his team mates better than anyone I’ve seen in recent times. He has the odd red mist moment but I can live with that. Toughness will still be required in our league next year as we still rely a lot on North American pros and realistically can’t compete on wages with the higher end leagues in Europe for the real skilled players.

BostonBart22

Dont think fitzy would come to devils, his girlfriend had a few issues with devils fans a while ago on twitter,,,unless of course he has come to his senses and ditched her...

ASHIPP

Dont think fitzy would come to devils, his girlfriend had a few issues with devils fans a while ago on twitter,,,unless of course he has come to his senses and ditched her...
Doubt he'll be ditching her - they are married and they are expecting their first child.

It's going to be the Storm isn't it? Fitzy's history with Finnerty and it's a good fit.

Just for completeness sakes:

Scott Aarssen
Miika Franssila
Mark Matheson
John Armstrong
Eric Neiley
Levi Nelson
Mathieu Roy (already signed)

Does that mean all remaining imports (above...) have been offered contracts for next year?
No idea [emoji23] nothing from the club there lol, not sure there’s space for Aarssen, Matheson, Franssila & O’Connor in our six though, all are similar.

Agree with Ocko, I like Fitzy a lot considering who he played for!
I’d be quite happy to see him patrolling our blue line. He’s still a decent defenceman, solves your toughness issue straight away and he defends his team mates better than anyone I’ve seen in recent times. He has the odd red mist moment but I can live with that. Toughness will still be required in our league next year as we still rely a lot on North American pros and realistically can’t compete on wages with the higher end leagues in Europe for the real skilled players.
You guys have changed the league in terms of the “enforcer” role, you carry a few guys like Strachan, Batch, Louis, Faryna and Paris who are big guys who can play and handle themselves, no need for a Fitzy type on your roster really.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

terry hunt

Reading the last part of the statement where Thommo recommends Fitzy and Fretter to other clubs maybe it was not his decision to release them.
I wonder how secure his assistant coach is.

rumour of Russel having Murdy as starter for Clan next season. It'd be great to see him take the step to starter.
Maybe we'll see Jordan Lawday back stop Ben Bowns and because of Jordan's age we can ice another Brit due to the under 23 rules or maybe Lyle will return as back up.

august04

Maybe we'll see Jordan Lawday back stop Ben Bowns and because of Jordan's age we can ice another Brit due to the under 23 rules or maybe Lyle will return as back up.
I’d be amazed if we went with Lawday as a backup next season. He’s still very young and with goalie headhunters like Armstrong around, we need a strong back up nettie. It’s crucial. Still hoping we’ll have the same Bowns/Murdy duo though!

osh

Let’s hope we can keep both Bowns and Murdy. Am I right in thinking that if one of them left and we brought in an import n/m, we would then have to go with one less import D or F player. By having two Brit n/m’s in our line up this season, it meant we had the advantage of an added import out skater every game.

James

Administrator
Let’s hope we can keep both Bowns and Murdy. Am I right in thinking that if one of them left and we brought in an import n/m, we would then have to go with one less import D or F player. By having two Brit n/m’s in our line up this season, it meant we had the advantage of an added import out skater every game.
Yep even if the import NM sat on the bench all game he’d be taking an import slot

I’d be amazed if we went with Lawday as a backup next season. He’s still very young and with goalie headhunters like Armstrong around, we need a strong back up nettie. It’s crucial. Still hoping we’ll have the same Bowns/Murdy duo though!
I
I really hope we keep both our netminders, if we do loose Mad Dog then there are few up and coming nettles as good as Jordan and wasn't Lyle just a teenager when the Devils iced him in the Europa cup.