Devils take over lease of IAW??

Jones72

The bench issue is one of the first questions I would have asked with this new arrangement. Can we change it? It looks so crammed in there, we all said it was ridiculous back in the day and that hasn’t changed. A job for the off season hopefully.
The bench is such a big problem that it cost us all hopes of silverware last season. Oh...hang on...

Doesn’t seem to be having an impact (negative or positive) as far as I can tell, and it’s something that impacts the fabric of the building, so out of scope of the remit to operate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ocko

The bench is such a big problem that it cost us all hopes of silverware last season. Oh...hang on...

Doesn’t seem to be having an impact (negative or positive) as far as I can tell, and it’s something that impacts the fabric of the building, so out of scope of the remit to operate.

If you've played or managed on those benches you would then know it's an issue.

It could also prevent us hosting IIHF tournaments, if the appetite was there, as it doesn't conform to standard.

Last edited:

Wannabe2

There again real impacts differ from person to person, some want wi fi, some want painting, some want memorabilia in the bar etc, all these things can be done cheaply. One thing is for sure and that is that improvements will be carried out for the benefit of fans and operators alike, which can only be a good thing for all. We really do have one of the best facilities n the league, and when it's taken in its full context, what with free ice time, sightlines, atmosphere, replays and introductions I would call it the best. Just a bit more physicality now and we are getting there.

kettdevil1

This might be a tangent but please humour me.... is WiFi such a big issue? Do people genuinely struggle without it.... for me there are more important things but it has been brought up so many times that I am beginning to think it is just me that is not massively bothered by that aspect...

Foxy

Im a carer who has cover for hockey so mobile coverage is essential in case of need. Plus people on call should be able to have access to signal. Then there's MNL they need signal:). Having to look for a place with signal is a hassle and a modern facility should be equipped as standard.

James

Administrator
This might be a tangent but please humour me.... is WiFi such a big issue? Do people genuinely struggle without it.... for me there are more important things but it has been brought up so many times that I am beginning to think it is just me that is not massively bothered by that aspect...
For the Devils it's massive. All the social media exposure that 3000+ fans could be generating is totally lost.

Johnnybravo1927

Not so much on matchdays but my son plays for the JR Devils and I spend several hours a week in the rink. Would be useful to have Wifi so I could take my laptop and catch up on work

As Wannabe has stated, real impacts differ from person to person. For me personally, WiFi is important, my job involves weekends from a contactable point of view, projects I’m involved in can be active over weekends and run into 24 hrs, so having E Mail, phone is not vital, but potentially could limit going to games.

The rest, painting bar, arena, isn’t going to increase attendance levels, no fan stops going to the bar because the bar is bland. You stop going to the bar because of poor service, lack of choice, pricing etc, you stop going to the IAW for these reasons. Had they widened the budget, listened to sound business advice, fans could have been sitting in a nice bar, with screens watching sports and enjoying drinks food 7 days a week. Sadly this real impact was binned, along with many real impacts that most would have appreciated.

This change unless I’ve read a different statement has been implemented to increase the overall IAW attendance levels and make small, cheap improvements to user experience. I hope I’m wrong, but honestly with Todd’s hands financially crippled, which is a shame, because if he was let loose with a realistic budget, he’d pull out a blinder, I’m afraid all l envisage is several happy clappers enjoying a few pictures, some minor changes to game night, the rest moaning constantly to Todd and the club for unrealistic improvements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jones72

If you've played or managed on those benches you would then know it's an issue.

It could also prevent us hosting IIHF tournaments, if the appetite was there, as it doesn't conform to standard.
Having played from the benches at the BBT, I can’t imagine they’re any worse than what we moved from.

Either way, “fabric of the building” especially considering the placement of the steps which would be blocked off (fire safety?) would put this on the “out of scope” list so no point holding the ownership to account if they look to prioritise things that they *can* action.

It maybe an idea to have the Red Army who recently went to Tiger Tiger have events based at the IAW.

One event that l could imagine being popular would be a simulation of a game experience. Have people who can skate experience what it’s like to be a pro hockey play, experience the build up and take part in a shortened game against the Devils.

Run it on red letter days.

kingmo19.1

Oh, I can just see it now ..... thousands upon thousands of people queueing around the block to see the new benches !
Now that's guaranteed to drag the general public in!
Doh, doh, doh, doh, doh, doh, doh!

In the most-part it just needs to feel like the 'home' of the Cardiff Devils!

Splash of paint, a few pics from yesteryear, a hall of fame etc. Simple things that can be accomplished for a few grand.

I meant in the context of being at a game. If l want a beer at a game the colour of the room is not going to get in the way.

I agree of all the bars in Cardiff to have a night out within, the IAW is not going to get on the list. Now had this been built as a sports bar, served food, a themed atmosphere, then yes, absolutely would use it regularly.

Had the council been honest and admitted the area which should have by now an ice rink, ski slope, bars, restaurants, shops, hotel and car parking,would never get fully developed maybe changes to the rink design could have incorporated a better bar, cafe and shop. Without the full development or any additional development the IAW will continue to struggle.

Last edited:

pjj365

As Carlos says there is potential.

My friends who live over there would love a welcoming bar they could walk to. There is simply no bar over that side of the bay

I meant in the context of being at a game. If l want a beer at a game the colour of the room is not going to get in the way.

I agree of all the bars in Cardiff to have a night out within, the IAW is not going to get on the list. Now had this been built as a sports bar, served food, a themed atmosphere, then yes, absolutely would use it regularly.

Had the council been honest and admitted the area which should have by now an ice rink, ski slope, bars, restaurants, shops, hotel and car parking,would never get fully developed maybe changes to the rink design could have incorporated a better bar, cafe and shop. Without the full development or any additional development the IAW will continue to struggle.

august04

Oh, I can just see it now ..... thousands upon thousands of people queueing around the block to see the new benches !
Now that's guaranteed to drag the general public in!
Doh, doh, doh, doh, doh, doh, doh!

In the most-part it just needs to feel like the 'home' of the Cardiff Devils!

Splash of paint, a few pics from yesteryear, a hall of fame etc. Simple things that can be accomplished for a few grand.
Likewise, thousands of people wouldn’t queue to see the improved lighting. But it needed to be upgraded and has been done this past few weeks.

As Carlos says there is potential.

My friends who live over there would love a welcoming bar they could walk to. There is simply no bar over that side of the bay
There is potential, how much given the budget or rather lack of budget. Do you honestly think if the potential to increase revenue was viable Greenbank would hold back. Why is Todd in a better position to run the IAW better than Greenbank, no disrespect to Todd, I’m sure he’ll make the best of it given the circumstances.

I’m not against improving the IAW, just having read the comments from Steve it’s pretty obviously not going to be much in the way of improving.

Last edited:

Earnie

It is not as if we are running at 50 or 60% capacity and need at attract a large number of new fans. We seemingly are averaging 97% which is terrific. It does not make sense to spend large amounts - just make it more cosy and let people know this place is Home of the Cardiff Devils.