Cardiff Devils v Guildford Flames - Fri 8 Dec 2017 - league - FO 7pm - Chat/Updates

Thread starter #1

With the two teams clashing in the quarter-finals of the Challenge Cup later this month this will be a key indicator of the DEVILS potential to retain the trophy.

MNL will be covering this game with OJ hosting so why not join us for play by play coverage of the action at the IAW.

Without volunteer texters there would not be any MNL coverage, we need texters urgently especially for away games. If you help us out either PM one of us or email us at matchnightlive@gmail.com or text me (OJ) on the MNL line 07527 625206

Score predictions as always welcomed to matchnightlive@gmail.com

matbur

Really looking forward to this one, the Flames have been excellent so far this season and certainly far better than I expected. We're going to have to raise our game for this one

ASHIPP

Is Steeeeeeeeeeeewaaaaaaaaaaat still injured?
They have a replacement goalie who is doing very well. Guildford have been our nemesis team this season. Have to find a way past them - this will be essential as they are our opponents in the CC Quarterfinals in two weeks time and early January.

They have very strong scoring players such as Dunbar and Ackered. Recently signed Geoff Walker who played for Steelers last season.

Id like to see us come out and steamroller the flames, I can't see it happening as we're too nice but I'd like to see it and lay down a marker going into the quarter final games against them

Slartibartfast

I saw in another thread that the Flames win percentage is 50%. This surprises me as they looked really good against us. But it shows they can be beaten. I think we are a better team. If we play for 60 minutes we should beat them. I agree a physical game is a good strategy as the Flames are very fast and fancy. Theres nothing like a good crunch into the boards to put them off their game.

Well they won a team award, I’m willing to state that wasn’t decided on a few players performance. So it would be nice if the team turn up and win, with a result that reflects their awards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ASHIPP

I saw in another thread that the Flames win percentage is 50%. This surprises me as they looked really good against us. But it shows they can be beaten. I think we are a better team. If we play for 60 minutes we should beat them. I agree a physical game is a good strategy as the Flames are very fast and fancy. Theres nothing like a good crunch into the boards to put them off their game.

Unfortunately, Flames' 50% win rate includes the games played against the Devils.......

Wannabe2

Well they won a team award, I’m willing to state that wasn’t decided on a few players performance. So it would be nice if the team turn up and win, with a result that reflects their awards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well seeing as it was a teams award, how could it be won on a few players performances, you don't win the league on a few players performances, this thread is about Guildford, let's get this game on. By the way this award was about last seasons team.

Wannabe2

We are up against the one team that's on a real roll at the moment, check this out.
A. Flames are on a 5 game winning streak.
B. In those 5 games they have netted 30 goals.for a av of 6 per game.
C. 5 v fife, 5 v Stars,7 v lightning,7 v Stars,5 v Giants.
This is one team you can't afford to have a off night against, otherwise they will make you pay.we need to be on our A game tonight for sure.

Russky

Great result. Devils are starting to learn how to win again.

PS Many thanks for the messages of condolence I have received thus far. They are a great comfort.

Wannabe2

It don't attendance wise, Friday is a bad call especially at Xmas time, why was this game played tonight anyway. We play Panthers tomorrow, surely a rest on Friday in readiness for the league leaders makes sense. However 2 points tonight is cool, I have to make a prediction and it's this, whoever wins tomorrow will win the league, and whoever loses will finish second in the league.

pjj365

Valuable win

A marker for the cup

Takes us to 29 points same as Steelers and Giants but with 2 games in hand on them

Panthers on the other hand 31 points with 2 games in hand on us - bring on tomorrow

jenks33

Relieved to get the two points tonight. Guildford are going to upset a lot of teams this season, they’re a pain to play against.
Darnell was frustrating tonight though. The x2 2+10 and the 2+2? Really? Very harsh calls IMO

ASHIPP

Big test of nerves and attitude tonight for the Devils after 2 quick Flames' goals. Devils applied themselves and showed character for a great result and two very valuable points.

How the Devils managed to suck up all that pk time I will never know but a strong,unified team performance and a great finish from Mo. Made even more remarkable when you think that we were missing the equivalent of 1 player for 20 mins with whistle happy Darnell penalising Devils' players with an escalating tariff of 2 + something for every apparent infringement. Don't normally focus on the reffing but tonight he seemed to be looking for every tiny miniscule little thing- Asselin and Martin rarely ever get binned FGS!

Passing much slicker, defence pairings solid and Devils playing with a rediscovered confidence since Joey Haddad's return. They sucked up the pace of the Flames and managed to stifle the usual productivity of Dunbar and Ackered.

Always felt that the key to Devils' previous inconsistency was a confidence and or/concentration issue. If they could learn to overcome that, they would strengthen their game dramatically.

Flames never give up. A fast, organised team with skilled forwards, a solid goalie and a very effective powerplay system. A very scary team if their opponents are not prepared.

Was very impressed with John Dunbar - lightening speed on the break, excellent skater with soft hands and puck handling skills. In the style of Joey Martin. He's also from Calgary.....and would look good in a Devils' jersey next season!

Last edited:

Gough60

Have to say a confident, comfortable win was jeopardise by very poor officiating last night.
A lot of the calls on on both teams were flabbergastig at times. Even the call on Ben that led
to our 3rd goal was weak.
I thought the Team played better than they have over the past 3 weeks. Could Joey's return be the spark
We needed?
Would love a 4 point weekend but will take anything out other tonight's game.