Cardiff Devils v Guildford Flames - Sat 14 Oct 2017 - C Cup - FO 7pm - Chat/Updates

Thread starter #1

MNL will be covering this game with OJ hosting so why not join us for this Challenge Cup encounter as the Flames make their first visit to Ice Arena Wales.

MNL is in urgent need of assistance both hosting & texting so that it can continue to deliver its unique service which is very much appreciated by fans who for what ever reason cannot make it to the games.

Without volunteer texters there would not be any MNL coverage especially of away games. A few of our longterm regular texters have gone on to other Devils releated duties so why not step into the breach.

Either PM one of us or email us at matchnightlive@gmail.com or text me (OJ) on the MNL line 07527 625206

terry hunt

Our situation is difficult.I believe we must win all 3 of our games.
We have a max of 8pts,MK and Guildford a max of 10 pts but obviously we play each other.
It could be settled this weekend.
Will be interesting how the Blaze affect the outcome .
They are bottom of our group with 1pt but with 4 games left so a possible 9 pts max
They also play the last group game against Guildford in November so it could be a decider.
Assuming my calculations are correct.
Coventry are dab hands at throwing a spanner in the works as we all know.

Last edited:

ASHIPP

It's do or die in the Challenge Cup this weekend. Have to win these games and (I think) the other remaining game against Blaze. Only teams guarenteed to qualify are the leaders of each group.

In a scenerio where two teams are tied in second place in the group, goals scored would be one of the deciding criteria. At present, Devils are struggling with this statistic......as well as goals conceded. This could also become v important when the 7th and 8th teams for qualification are decided so:
8 teams made up of top 1 and 2 in each cup group (6) plus the next best 2 teams of the rest.

jenks33

I think I’m right in saying that the owners will be at this game? I fully expect a committed performance and a solid victory. Guildford have been good this season but I think we’ll have too much for them tomorrow. It shouldn’t make a big difference that the owners will be there but I think it will

No excuses really, at this stage in the season the team should be aware of each other’s strengths and more importantly weaknesses, adjustments and allowances made and roles clearly defined. That goes from bench to players. It’s time to play like a defending Championship winning club.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wildthing74

Financially this weekend is huge. I would have thought qualification and potential additional games with hopefully a semi final later that is another non season ticket game would have big factor in the budget. Let's be honest with the success we have had in this competition in the last 3 years not many of us expected to struggle at this stage especially with the 2 new teams in our group.

The shocking performances away to Guildford and Milton Keynes have really put us under pressure and maybe gives us less chance to use likes of Murdy as I would have thought the would be ideal games to give him starts and Bowns a rest.

Travel to Europe is not ideal preperation whilst both our opponents have had the week off but with the importance of the games I'm sure the guys will find the reserves to get the wins we need.Guildford surprised me but that night we were not at the races and Coventry's home for is fantastic having battered Sheffield & Belfast in the past 2 weeks.Our record though in Coventry in the last 5 years or so is fantastic and we know how to win in that building.

Our CHL campaign has been incredible but I'm sure the guys are relieved that it's over and they can go back to focussing on how we play domestically and the style we know best.I back us to get the wins we need and hopefully we can see us go to the final that is fast becoming our own.

pjj365

And one of those mountains if I recall correctly was pulling ourselves out of CC group stages when we fans believed we would never do it

Sounds familiar?

ASHIPP

There is no doubt about the expectations on the team this weekend and the pressure that goes with it.

Have to say that that both opposition teams have pulled off important results for themselves recently and have proven that they cannot be underestimated.

Infact, I would suggest that these two teams will be going into the games with less pressure and expectation than the Devils. Guildford, first season will be enjoying the journey of wins to see where it takes them. Coventry, after repeatedly not qualifying for this competition will be overjoyed to progress....and they are a much more skilled team this season.

The Devils certainly have the skills to get the results they need. Let's hope that minds and fitness levels hace been reset after Sweden.

Unfortunately, in the reality of the here and now, the fact that Devils are holders of the Challenge Cup means nothing to anyone outside the organisation and fanbase.

This weekend is the time for us to show why we really deserve to keep that title.

All of our replacements this year are downgrades. If we had last year’s team we wouldn’t be in this position. Is Paris sunk into concrete? He doesn’t move. Reddick? Crowder? No. Tried but not much out of them. The only new player is keep is Faryna. I’m utterly gutted and disappointed. Bring back Cully, Brine and Scott in a second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
One team turned up with a gritty, fast and committed performance.
Whether it's due to European exploits or not, that performance is unacceptable.
Guildford deservedly won that game.
But these performances week in week out are not improving drastically (except european wise) can't help but look at line combinations and personal to wonder is we have a championship winning team. Last year we had bad games but I always expected is to find a way. This season I just haven't felt that way with many games just hoping we get something out of it. And we just don't seem to have another to go to. As a team they have have long enough together but the fluid, controlled Devils that I do expect just ain't there.

RedDevil17

First of all congratulations to Guildford they really are a speedy team who can definitely cause damage this year. Apart from the physical hitting I thought we were poor. Am I correct in thinking we are now out of the CC? Considering we can narrowly lose to to Vaxjo to being beat. Changes need to be made and that’s obvious. Domestically I think we’ve been poor and the CHL has papered over the cracks. We need to get a better D man in. Reddick is out of his depth but I will say he has fire and heart in terms of fighting. Can’t fault his work ethic but he’s not good enough. Not impressed by Paris or Crowder either tbh. It’s a case of mediocre performance after another in the league and cup. Shame we can’t progress in the cup but it is what it is. Changes must be made!!

ASHIPP

More than met their match tonight. A Flames team who believe they have a real chance in this competition.

Last year our team had the mindset and ability to turn a game around and could change the result with minutes to spare.

That's what championship winning/title defending teams do.....they find ways to win.
And that is the reality this season - in order to defend those titles, the team has to keep winning, whichever way they do it.
The remaining CC games against Blaze are virtually dead rubber - even if our team were tied on points, their appauling goal statistics and that O/T loss tonight wil go against them.

A disasterous bad start in this competition just gets worse - the fallout of the potential loss of game receipts from qualifying for the next round.

The_Puck

We can still go through to the knock-out rounds. After tonight, we have 3 points after 4 out of 6 games. Coventry have 1 point after 3 of 6 games. If we win in regulation tomorrow, we are 4 points ahead of the Blaze with them having 2 games remaining. Braehead have 2 points from 3 out of 6 games. They have to play Sheffield at home and Nottingham twice. We should still qualify

august04

No complaints from me about the result, I thought Guildford outworked the Devils tonight and deserved the 2 points. I can’t fault the effort of some players but there are 3 or 4 consistently underperforming and it’s killing us in domestic competitions. At least the owners saw first hand tonight what many on here have been saying for weeks. We've recruited poorly and this team is certainly a downgrade on what we had overall last season. In my opinion, 2 D men need to be replaced and at least 1 forward, maybe 2. I can’t see that happening though - we're too concerned at treating players well, rather than getting rid of the dross. This team, as it is now, will not challenge for any EIHL title/competition and looks more a candidate for 4th place at best.