Brendan Connelly

Johnnybravo1927

Thread starter #1
Brendan Connelly of Belfast Giants reminded me very much of Brad Marchand. The style of antagonising play, cheap hits, the small stature, large nose and he even wears the same shirt number (as my son informed me). Whilst an absolute terror to play against and will never be popular outside of Belfast, we could do with having a little terrier of a player like that.

ASHIPP

Plays his game on the edge. Giants are prepared to accept his style will mean plenty of visits to the penalty box. But that is offset by all the other terrific stuff he does for his team.
Blaze Captain Jordan Pietrus a similar player - and a good leader.

Last edited:
Brendan Connelly of Belfast Giants reminded me very much of Brad Marchand. The style of antagonising play, cheap hits, the small stature, large nose and he even wears the same shirt number (as my son informed me). Whilst an absolute terror to play against and will never be popular outside of Belfast, we could do with having a little terrier of a player like that.
Coincidently, I said the same to another Devils fan on Saturday. As Obama said about Marchand, Connolly is 'a little ball of hate'.

kettdevil1

Coincidently, I said the same to another Devils fan on Saturday. As Obama said about Marchand, Connolly is 'a little ball of hate'.
Agree on the views on Connolly but on a point of order wasn’t it Pat Verbeek who was called this before Marchand and actually..... I have a feeling there was someone before that as well!

Agree on the views on Connolly but on a point of order wasn’t it Pat Verbeek who was called this before Marchand and actually..... I have a feeling there was someone before that as well!
The phrase was indeed originally used in reference to Pat Verbeek and 'appropriated' by Obama. But this thread is about Connelly/Marchand .

kettdevil1

The phrase was indeed originally used in reference to Pat Verbeek and 'appropriated' by Obama. But this thread is about Connelly/Marchand .
It is indeed, hence my wording.

Actually the term was used about another player before Verbeek but for the life of me I can’t remember who it was so was hoping someone would remember....

wildthing74

Coincidentally I also said the same of Connelly after the game I compared his style and look to Marchand and I couldn't decide wether I liked him or hated the little shitebag?

Verbeek for my money was a way better player and I was lucky enough to watch him play for Team Canada in Pool A in Italy many years ago but can understand the comparison.

Chris Nilan was a similar guy before that too but at least he backed himself up whereas some of these little rink rat guys don't.

It's good to have these types of guys though in the game and he caught the eye for sure.

bb1

I hate guys like him who will play dirty and agitate gut won't back it up.

However I feel we are missing a guy like that but id prefer one who will back it up.

Triston Grant and Mike Brown do this perfectly and answer the bell when needed.....not turtle like Connolly did with Faryna.

Funnily enough Grant and Brown are free agents ATM not signed to any team. Both are nails and could hang with anyone our league has to offer.

I hate guys like him who will play dirty and agitate gut won't back it up.

However I feel we are missing a guy like that but id prefer one who will back it up.

Triston Grant and Mike Brown do this perfectly and answer the bell when needed.....not turtle like Connolly did with Faryna.

Funnily enough Grant and Brown are free agents ATM not signed to any team. Both are nails and could hang with anyone our league has to offer.
he hardly turtled, Faryna put a big hit on the boards and then skated into the back of Connelly and forced him to the floor (clearly shown on the highlights)