NHL's first Cardiff born player

Thread starter #1
Fingers crossed that this week Nathan Walker becomes the first Cardiff born player to play in the NHL.

After a great training camp and scoring the Washington Capitals first pre season goal he is tipped to be in the Capitals lineup when they play the Senators on Thursday.

Yea he must have moved to Australia young which is quite common now a days as there's not much in this country to get excited about..

Only 23 so hope he does well :)

kettdevil1

Here's hoping.... if he is, I will be watching as Premier have the game live. He has had a few decent seasons with Hershey and I suspect he will get his chance at some point this season if it doesn't happen Thursday. The only nagging doubt is the Caps organisation itself, they are not great at bringing through players they have drafted....in the last five years the only Caps player drafted to get a shift with the team in an NHL game is Jakub Vrana so Walker will have to buck that trend.

Is anyone interested in a game worn jersey from this lad?not shaw which team yet but soon as I get it I wana know it anyone’s interested!hopefully it’s a capitals one as I’m real good friends with his family members.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember talking to him a few years back in Llanishen rugby club and he mentioned about playing for the Devils and I told him to go and play in the NHL first then come and play for us.

Seems like he's following my advice :)

solelace84

Why don't these awesome UK born players play for the national team? Brandon Perlini, another UK born NHL guy...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kettdevil1

No debut for Nathan last night but he is next in line and with a few Caps forwards misfiring, he will get his chance at some point soon I suspect

Just watched his interview with cnn and tbh it's all about Australia.
He left Cardiff when he was two and he classes home as Australia his mother also took Australian flag to the game he scored in.
He also mentions about growing the sport back home in Australia.

So even though he was born here it's not that a big deal

BostonBart22

Just watched his interview with cnn and tbh it's all about Australia.
He left Cardiff when he was two and he classes home as Australia his mother also took Australian flag to the game he scored in.
He also mentions about growing the sport back home in Australia.

So even though he was born here it's not that a big deal
If he wants to be known as an aussie scrap the thread i say..GOOD RIDDANCE.

I think the NHL media have really tried to push the 'first Aussie in the NHL' kind of thing which is why he rarely mentions Wales.

There was an article on Wales Online about him 5 years ago where he talks a little about Wales:

While the NHL is the foremost goal in Walker’s mind, he also revealed his hopes for a return to Cardiff – and the country he still calls home.

“I’d really like to play for the Cardiff Devils someday,” he said.

“That’s where I think I’d like to end up. I’m from Wales and I’m from Cardiff – it seems right that that’s where I’d end up. Wales is a great country to call home.”

Noticed on his Instagram it looks like he has a Welsh dragon tattoo so even though he's a proud Aussie he obviously hasn't forgotten his roots - Walks__12