Guildford Flames v Devils - Sun 10 Sep 2017 - C Cup - Chat/Updates

I'm convinced they were told to rest up for the weekend, ESPECIALLY the flames game - just watched the highlights, and they don't even look like they were trying. Looked like they were skating at 30%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

osh

I'm convinced they were told to rest up for the weekend, ESPECIALLY the flames game - just watched the highlights, and they don't even look like they were trying. Looked like they were skating at 30%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I doubt that very much....and I doubt the great travelling support would appreciate it either.

I noticed a hotham give away for there 2nd or 3rd goal I think..
he's too god damn sloppy imo

Hey ho back to this weekend and hoping for two wins :)

Btw fourniers goal was really really good..
Hardly any effort in his skating and even his shot looked all calm and relaxed.. quality player

I noticed a hotham give away for there 2nd or 3rd goal I think..
he's too god damn sloppy imo

Hey ho back to this weekend and hoping for two wins :)

Btw fourniers goal was really really good..
Hardly any effort in his skating and even his shot looked all calm and relaxed.. quality player
So on the other 7 goals, was there anyone else to blame or just Hotham on the 2nd goal ?

So on the other 7 goals, was there anyone else to blame or just Hotham on the 2nd goal ?
I'm not a fan of hotham he may score loads but I guarantee he gives up at least 15-20 goals a season because he's to calm and it pisses me off...

He had ages to clear the puck instead looks like he wants to do a fancy move right by our goal.. sooooo annoying

Rempel16

I'm not a fan of hotham he may score loads but I guarantee he gives up at least 15-20 goals a season because he's to calm and it pisses me off...

He had ages to clear the puck instead looks like he wants to do a fancy move right by our goal.. sooooo annoying

The league MVP - a guy that 11 other coaches want in their team....

Outrageous post. I 'guarantee' it's less than that.

Wannabe2

Firstly as a Defensman if you make a mistake it can be crucial, people forget when forwards miss chances, they are quickly forgotten, but a mistake by a D Man is a different kettle of fish, that's why being a goalie can be thankless at times, make a boo boo and it's a goal. Does Hotham make mistakes for sure, but as a D Man if he scored the goals he does, and was faultless in defence we would never have heard of him, as he most certainly wouldn't be in this league. The man could walk into any team in this league, fans have stated they don't want him fighting as he is too important on the ice, yet he pisses you off ???. The man scores goals, sticks up for his team mates, makes mistakes occasionally yes, but who don't. There is a reason Lordo try's to get him back every year, and it's not because he is a liability.

I admit he does everything he can for the team score goals fight etc and yes he could get into any team in the league..
But for me he makes to many mistakes and is too clumsy/calm more than Skye should be..

Things like that annoying me as it's like it's all to easy for him he can't be bothered at times..

It's my opinion end of

Milky

Firstly as a Defensman if you make a mistake it can be crucial, people forget when forwards miss chances, they are quickly forgotten, but a mistake by a D Man is a different kettle of fish, that's why being a goalie can be thankless at times, make a boo boo and it's a goal. Does Hotham make mistakes for sure, but as a D Man if he scored the goals he does, and was faultless in defence we would never have heard of him, as he most certainly wouldn't be in this league. The man could walk into any team in this league, fans have stated they don't want him fighting as he is too important on the ice, yet he pisses you off ???. The man scores goals, sticks up for his team mates, makes mistakes occasionally yes, but who don't. There is a reason Lordo try's to get him back every year, and it's not because he is a liability.

Totally agree with this. We 're not an NHL or KHL team so we have players that have limitations. If they didn't they wouldn't play playing for us. Simple really.

Hotham does make errors and costs us goals, but he more than makes up for it at the other end. He can be frustrating at times but I'm so glad we have him.

I was at the game in Guildford and yes it was dire (possibly the worst performances I've seen by a Devils team in 3 years) but so what. I'd rather we get a performance like this out of the way now than at the backend of the season.

Blips happen.

Rempel16

I admit he does everything he can for the team score goals fight etc and yes he could get into any team in the league..
But for me he makes to many mistakes and is too clumsy/calm more than Skye should be..

Things like that annoying me as it's like it's all to easy for him he can't be bothered at times..

It's my opinion end of
Too clumsy / calm?

What would you rather? Him skate around like a headless chicken on the ice...?

The reason he can play so calm, much like Richardson, is that defensively he is almost always positioned correctly so he affords himself time.

When he has the puck he tries some high-risk plays at times, and when he gets caught out, it often leads to a quality scoring chance for the opposition. However, have you ever thought that some of those plays are actually his teammates fault? He surveys the ice really well, so perhaps when he looks for the outlet pass the passing lane isn't there (that's the job of his teammates, to find the space for the pass). He's generally at his own blue line and so banking the puck down the wall will almost certainly result in an icing call. So, he weighs it up, and backs himself to make the play around the forechecker, which when successful leads to an odd-man rush.

It's a high percentage play, but sometimes it's worth the risk.

The guy remains quality. Coaches around the league are not wrong. 'End of'.

ASHIPP

It's very true that old cliche ' you don't appreciate what you've got until you don't have it'. Hoth's real contribution to this team will not be appreciated by some until he is not playing for the Devils anymore.
Whilst no player is indispensible, they will have a difficult job replacing him. League MVP suggests how other people in the sport rate him. The commentators described his contribution in the Davos game as 'sublime'. Enough said.

He has a frustrating and what appears to be an inconsistent, sometimes high risk style compensated by utter brilliance and a crazy ammount of minutes.

A scoreline like the one against Guildford suggest a 'team efffort' to fall to a thrashing like that. I can certainly think of several other players this season already who have made poor passes, been in the wrong position, lost the puck etc.

matbur

Totally agree with this. We 're not an NHL or KHL team so we have players that have limitations. If they didn't they wouldn't play playing for us. Simple really.

Hotham does make errors and costs us goals, but he more than makes up for it at the other end. He can be frustrating at times but I'm so glad we have him.
This is quite right, and with an enormous amount of respect to the guy it's the reason he's playing EIHL. If he was a more rounded player in terms of errors and turnovers he would be playing at a higher level, no doubt about it.

What he brings to the team will always outweigh the negatives and we should just be glad he plays for us.

For me Hoth's value isn't in one particular area, he's more than a D man or scoring goals, what you claim as an annoyance is actually probably one of the main reasons he so in demand. Watch closely, he's controlled the momentum and instigated set moves many times when other players wouldn't, couldn't,shouldn't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kingmo19.1

I think somebody in this thread has been watching too much NHL on TV !!!

Anyway, post mortem aside, what's done is done. One thing for sure, I'm looking forward to the first home game v Guildford as I feel frustration will be bottled up until that point and retribution taken.