2017/2018 Rumours & Offseason nonsense

Mooney#16

Finny takes an early lead. Balls.
I'm going to conceed on a 70/30 basis. A close to point per game ECHL player being signed to a 3rd / 4th line position is a big signing in terms of depth and probably a massive turn of the screw to the rest of the league and is surely indicative of Devils increased spending power. But given the year off he is probably priced slightly below market value for his CV. So I think Finny was probably more right than me. Good luck everyone!

A great final roster for Devils. Was thinking potential we had lost a bit to much offence with Doucet going but I think that's been covered if the new guys deliver to level. And the D is definitely looking strong. The interesting thing will be watching Batchy as he basically has to step into Bordy's shoes. Be fun watching him play with a chip on his shoulder.

voth26

I'm going to conceed on a 70/30 basis. A close to point per game ECHL player being signed to a 3rd / 4th line position is a big signing in terms of depth and probably a massive turn of the screw to the rest of the league and is surely indicative of Devils increased spending power. But given the year off he is probably priced slightly below market value for his CV. So I think Finny was probably more right than me. Good luck everyone!

A great final roster for Devils. Was thinking potential we had lost a bit to much offence with Doucet going but I think that's been covered if the new guys deliver to level. And the D is definitely looking strong. The interesting thing will be watching Batchy as he basically has to step into Bordy's shoes. Be fun watching him play with a chip on his shoulder.
For me I don't think Josh has to step in to bordys shoes, last year Bordy was supposed to be the main enforcer, so no one else took the initiative to step up when Bordy didn't step up at all!!, This year we don't have a main enforcer type player but we do have at least 6 players including Josh who can and I'm certainly hoping will step up and protect their team mates

Mooney#16

I think my point is I want to see Batchy being physically pro active and setting the physical agenda on teams not sitting back and only engaging in response to what other teams do. I want him in there challenging defenceman to move the puck quick or they'll get finished hard and I want him causing bumps and scrums around the opposition net. This style of play will draw more fights but I want him playing big and imposing himself onto the opposition not showing up after the event to settle a score. It'll be a new style of play for Josh and one I hope he mentally buys into and plays clever enough to be effective but not a liability

bb1

I've said it for a very long time Josh is technically the best puncher we've seen in the league for a very long time. There have been many guys in the history of hockey who never wanted to fight....but....when they did look out! Josh is one of these.

With Josh technical ability to throw and the fact he's as strong as they come if he could do what guys like Rypien did and throw some sneaky defence techniques in there he would be feared by most. Josh doesn't need to prove himself as a tough guy he's already bleed for his team but I'm sure he will stick up for his team mates this season when needed.

There have been many guys in the history of hockey who never wanted to fight....but....when they did look out! Josh is one of these.

Very true - who would have thought Claude Dumas would drop his gloves and beat up a player who had upset him. The most dissisive victory I have witnessed on the ice.

I've said it for a very long time Josh is technically the best puncher we've seen in the league for a very long time. There have been many guys in the history of hockey who never wanted to fight....but....when they did look out! Josh is one of these.

With Josh technical ability to throw and the fact he's as strong as they come if he could do what guys like Rypien did and throw some sneaky defence techniques in there he would be feared by most. Josh doesn't need to prove himself as a tough guy he's already bleed for his team but I'm sure he will stick up for his team mates this season when needed.
Ryp was something else, very few if anyone like him. Grew up Boxing if I remember correctly and obviously, he had the benefit of being the underdog in almost every fight if guys didn't take him seriously. Had the efficient technique of having his elbows infront of his head/neck too, like a boxer would, and then just used his agility to get the opposition off their stance slightly and then boom, he'd unload. Will never forget his fights against the likes of Hal Gill and Boris Valabik. 2 perfect examples of when he made people pay for underestimating him.

Underestimation is something Batch doesn't and never will have on his side though, big lad, visibly tough so any other tough guy will see his size and style of play and know he's a tough cookie.

The problem for Batch in my eyes is how he gets moved from D to F. Solid in defence, but he can't play the big hitting, no nonsense guy too often or he'll get caught out of position, or take penalties post-whistle. As a forward, If he can develop his game into that of a Power Forward, develop the stick work, speed etc.. then that's where I'd expect him to be most deadly. If he played a similar role to how Janssen played with us, Desbiens played with Sheffield and Bordeleau sort of played with you guys then he'd flourish more in my eyes.

He's got the potential for sure but moving him back and forth, different roles every few games isn't going to do much good. Either be one thing or the other and master that before exploring other role options.

Ryp was something else, very few if anyone like him. Grew up Boxing if I remember correctly and obviously, he had the benefit of being the underdog in almost every fight if guys didn't take him seriously. Had the efficient technique of having his elbows infront of his head/neck too, like a boxer would, and then just used his agility to get the opposition off their stance slightly and then boom, he'd unload. Will never forget his fights against the likes of Hal Gill and Boris Valabik. 2 perfect examples of when he made people pay for underestimating him.

Underestimation is something Batch doesn't and never will have on his side though, big lad, visibly tough so any other tough guy will see his size and style of play and know he's a tough cookie.

The problem for Batch in my eyes is how he gets moved from D to F. Solid in defence, but he can't play the big hitting, no nonsense guy too often or he'll get caught out of position, or take penalties post-whistle. As a forward, If he can develop his game into that of a Power Forward, develop the stick work, speed etc.. then that's where I'd expect him to be most deadly. If he played a similar role to how Janssen played with us, Desbiens played with Sheffield and Bordeleau sort of played with you guys then he'd flourish more in my eyes.

He's got the potential for sure but moving him back and forth, different roles every few games isn't going to do much good. Either be one thing or the other and master that before exploring other role options.

Good post. I agree with all of that but I think the plan is for him to stay as a centre. He was a centre in his younger days and was converted into a decent D man. That experience will hopefully develop him into a better all round player

Devil94

Good post. I agree with all of that but I think the plan is for him to stay as a centre. He was a centre in his younger days and was converted into a decent D man. That experience will hopefully develop him into a better all round player
I think unlikely he will be playing center this year as it looks he'll be on the same line as Myers.

bb1

Yep his dad was a Golden gloves champ. Exactly what you said is what I mean with his defence. He covers up so well, tucked his chin and the fact he used to put the point of his elbow in front of his face is a trick I learned when boxing many years ago. If your opponent throws and catches the point of elbow it's game over for their hand. I'm surprised that many of today's fighters don't ever look like they work on defence to avoid getting hurt...other than turning away. Rypien was the best technical fighter I've seen esp being only 5"10 175lb!

Anyway Batchy could be terrifying to come up against if he wants to be. More to the point, forget just the fighting aspect he has a lot more to offer playing as a forward. Will throw body more and knows where the net is. Can't wait to see this years team dynamic!

Milky

I think Batchy will make a great forward, he's scored a couple of fantastic goals in the last season or so.

Always thought he's looked a bit nervous recently and weighed down with the responsibility of playing D. He's not the best passer in the world and I wonder if that's been playing on his mind as the league has got stronger and mistakes prove more costly. It must be hard being the 6th in line D man as well and losing his GB spot probably hasn't filled him with confidence.

Moving up to forward will suit his skill set really well. I think he will be a great attribute to our forward lines and will surprise a lot of people.

Temme

I can see Paris crowder ad maybe 1 or 2 others leaving us..

I hope we get a few good signings from this league,
ackered could be one of them along with vallerand maybe??
If history tells me one thing it's to never sign from within the league, i'd prefer someone new if we do change anything.

Players signed from inter-league normally look better on paper & in the flesh playing against us - as you'll notice their flashes of brilliance more.

And they'll always demand more money as they're 'proven' then!

Wannabe2

If history tells me one thing it's to never sign from within the league, i'd prefer someone new if we do change anything.

Players signed from inter-league normally look better on paper & in the flesh playing against us - as you'll notice their flashes of brilliance more.

And they'll always demand more money as they're 'proven' then!
Thankfully we don’t believe in not signing from within. Otherwise we would never had seen the likes of
Adams, Batch,Bowns,Darling, Finnerty, Richardson, Ware, Campbell,Jarvis,Matulik,Moore, Hervato, Doucet, Faryna, and Myers, to mention a few.

Devil_Abroad

Thankfully we don’t believe in not signing from within. Otherwise we would never had seen the likes of
Adams, Batch,Bowns,Darling, Finnerty, Richardson, Ware, Campbell,Jarvis,Matulik,Moore, Hervato, Doucet, Faryna, and Myers, to mention a few.
Moria, McEwen, Coopers - even Lawless! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk