2017/2018 Rumours & Offseason nonsense

Wagstaff

Coventry perhaps? :D

Too slow for any of the top teams, won't really fight anymore. Wasn't liked by management in Fife apparently, Clan would be stupid to take him, Dundee and Caps probably won't want him. Only options really are Guildford, MK or Coventry.

Storm will be announcing Neilson's re-signing shortly.
Nooooooo not us please, he's got the turning circle of a canal barge! Slow, ineffective and wants to show fight!
Not what I want in my roster!

RedDevil17

If Nickerson was to go anywhere I think he should join Manchester personally. Also, with the small BBT style arena I think he would be perfect for them. Yes they already have Neilson,Erhadht and Dziurzinski (sp?) but they need another tough guy imo and he's a hard hitter. As Gazza said he's played in Finland which means experience which is what the storm need.

Finny

It's starting to sound like the PIHL which was supposed to take over from the EPL won't get off the ground. Could mean more Brits become available and there are also rumours that Hull Pirates could make a last minute application for EIHL.

ASHIPP

Didn't Hull apply for the NIHL this very week? Financial difficulties was why they dropped out of the EIHL wasn't it?

The second tier of British ice hockey looks chaotic at the moment : Manchester Phoenix folded; Telford Tigers almost went bust and limped to end of season; Basingstoke Bison have major rink issues; Swindon Wilcats have applied for NIHL level status.

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #187
Didn't Hull apply for the NIHL this very week? Financial difficulties was why they dropped out of the EIHL wasn't it?

The second tier of British ice hockey looks chaotic at the moment : Manchester Phoenix folded; Telford Tigers almost went bust and limped to end of season; Basingstoke Bison have major rink issues; Swindon Wilcats have applied for NIHL level status.
But all these NIHL applications, including the Wildcats and Pirates are because Ken Taggart has advised all the proposed PIHL clubs to do that.

I can't see why the EIHL would accept an application from Hull, unless there is a very real threat of 3 Scottish teams leaving. They couldn't afford to be in the EIHL before, don't see much reason to think they could afford it this time around, or that their fans would back it again in sufficient numbers to make it viable.

Ocko

Looks like an awful lot of good players over 23 will soon be playing in a level well below their ability and wage demands or out of a job. Players like Matty Davies, Aaron Nell, Joe Miller shouldn't be playing NIHL level hockey but with the new rule have zero chance of an EIHL return.

Devil_Abroad

TK said on air yesterday that 3/4 changes.

Sounds about right to me, can't sit still even when top of the ladder.

Reading between the lines, I'd be surprised to see Bordy back. Chris Jones makes sense too, as he'd probably get more ice time elsewhere.
If only 3/4 changes and 2 will be Brits leaving then the chances of Martin/Hotham/Asselin/Ulmer staying is HUGE!

Was TK on the radio?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ASHIPP

If only 3/4 changes and 2 will be Brits leaving then the chances of Martin/Hotham/Asselin/Ulmer staying is HUGE!

Was TK on the radio?

I don't think it will be just the crazy u23/new league roster quota that will mean changes. Steve had already alluded to other changes in recent statements.

Be interesting to see which new players join the Team. To stay ahead, unfortunately they can't stand still because rivals looking to dramaticallly improve.

Devil_Abroad

Bordy was also just as effective when he didn't hit as when he put someone through the boards. How many times did he pull out of a hit at the last second but the opposing player still shat their shorts and coughed up the puck.
And he played a role on PK too

Devil_Abroad

A reliable source has informed me of Faryna & McGrattan to Devils !

Would be delighted to see Faryna in a Devils shirt. McGrattan I understand has fallen out with Panthers hierarchy. Me thinks Bordy isn't coming back - especially as it seems he's been on a leash most of the season.
Rumour was he didn't get on with GM? From his Sportsnet interview he loves fishing, castles, and sheep. He's from Calgary. So..... But he sounded like he wasn't coming back

Finny

But all these NIHL applications, including the Wildcats and Pirates are because Ken Taggart has advised all the proposed PIHL clubs to do that.

I can't see why the EIHL would accept an application from Hull, unless there is a very real threat of 3 Scottish teams leaving. They couldn't afford to be in the EIHL before, don't see much reason to think they could afford it this time around, or that their fans would back it again in sufficient numbers to make it viable.
Any application from Hull though would significantly lessen the strength the Scottish teams currently have in demanding the conferences be setup as they wish. If the Scottish 3 did leave then Hull could take their place and we'd still have a 10 team league.

I think we'll see Hull back in the EIHL within the next couple of years, although I'd be surprised if it was this summer. Although they struggled in the past they'd have a new local rival in Manchester with a team of a similar level. Ideally you'd want another northern team to join at same time so you end up with two conferences of 7 teams.

Perhaps the EIHL will come to an agreement whereby the Scottish teams get their 3 conference wish for one year before Hull join and we return to two conferences or one big league.

Ocko

Agree with Finny. I think the collapse of the EPL and proposed PIHL means that it is now a definite EIHL or bust of the Scottish teams, SNL isn't even semi pro. It also leaves teams like Hull in a bit of limbo, however it also removes the bargaining chips of the Scottish 3. If they try and force the hand of the other EIHL teams they could find themselves getting burned. Guildford, MK and Hull are a significantly stronger option than Fife, Edinburgh and Dundee. I think this very recent development means that the Scottish 3 need the EIHL more than they might need them now.

Obviously it would be great to reach an agreement with all parties and even welcome back Hull and maybe one other. 14 teams would be a great prospect and only strengthen the EIHL as a whole.

Devil94

They are selling season tickets for the arena, so looks so like it's not true. There was just a few rumours going around, panthers fans mainly. A bit strange though they're playing their pre season games at icesheffield. I thought they'd be able to get a decent crowd in against those sides.