2017/2018 Rumours & Offseason nonsense

voth26

I'd have liked to see Bordy drop the mitts a few more times or certainly been a lot more menacing when warning a player for a cheap shot etc, but given his bone crunching hits and his intimidating presence plus the fact neither Mcgratton or fitzy actually fought much I think that's more to do with who else was in the league to be fair. I'd have Bordy back but with a clear understanding that he had to step up a lot more and police the game better

For the wages he was on, I think it's fair to have expected more. If he was mid-level salary, his contribution would've been great. But as possibly the highest paid player on the team, he needed to influence the game every time he was on the ice. I'd sooner have Faryna in his place, who will cost less, hit hard, fight anyone and put up 30-40 points in a season. No way he lets the Bowns hits go unanswered - he's got a nasty streak a mile wide, and I bet he's a great team guy.

With Faryna, Louis, Batch, Lord and A Hotham (or equivalent replacements), the team would be plenty tough enough. If you want to keep winning, I think your tough guys have to contribute like Desbiens, Faryna, Dziursinski (sp?) and Riley.

Bordy was a luxury that we could get away with because of the amount of talent elsewhere, but teams will upgrade this year and we can't stand still.

Whilst on the topic, I would keep everyone else bar Doucet and maybe Brine. I'd be happy if they stayed but they are possibly positions where a slight upgrade might be possible.

Sign the rest up asap.

Devil94

Or what about Derek Mathers. Tough, and will put up some points at this level.

If we replace Bordy, I'm hoping we go for someone to replace his hitting ability rather than his fighting, someone with a nasty edge. When Bordy was angry there was no one better in the league, a but a lot of the time something would have happened to flick a switch.
What i'd like to see is someone who constantly plays with a nasty edge. Lidhammer does it well, so does Fitzy and so does Martinelli, (although I'd hope we can sign someone better than those 3)

I said it all season bordy talks to much and not enough action!!

Armstrong runs our goalie and no one does anything a few shifts later he scores a goal and laughs about it..

He should have had a beating!
and even if he don't fight back he will get 2 mins for Delay of game or something and wouldn't have had a chance to score..

RedDevil17

I wouldn't mind seeing Josh Gratton or Brandon Prust as our enforcer next year. They might not be the tallest but, like Keefe, is more than capable of holding his own against the other tough guys like Klotz,McGrattan and Desbiens. I for one hope that Armstrong resigns for steelers so he can get what's coming to him. There needed to be a reaction and we didn't get one yet again. If Doucet doesn't come back then I wouldn't mind Shane Heffernan over here. He's a speedy player with an eye for goal.

zoesdevil

Which bit of Bordy are you trying to replace though. The lack of fighting or the intimidatory hitting. Whilst not fighting as much as maybe liked yes a guy like Gallant or Klotz will give you maybe 10 decent fights a year. Bordy's hitting is far harder to replace though so I wouldn't be so quick to cut him adrift.

Look at Panthers this year. Granted it wasn't there call but they upgraded their fighter but lost hugely in the hitting. Janssen or McGratten. Janssen every time. I'm not loyal to Bordy but you have to look at his entire contribution. You want a fighter just pull some goon out of the LNAH. You want a full package that's where you are spending your money. And let's be frank. If Bordy had dropped the gloves say five more times this year it wouldn't even be a discussion given his contribution elsewhere.
I think Bordy's intimidation kept our skill guys to be able to play their games, when Bordy was dropped Giants got away with too much, not taking 5 minutes too often was also good, but he let a few players get away with some dirty stuff, which I didn't like!!

Leighton

Not that how much someone earns is any of my business, but... how much more does/did Bordy cost in comparison to the other players? I guess no-one here would know for sure?

my son loves the guy so by osmosis i love the guy too. He's the reason my son started learning to play hockey. Think it was the home play-off leg that Bordy stayed out on the ice last after the game and high-fived every player as they skated off the ice. Never seen him do that before and the three of us watching thought he was saying goodbye.

ASHIPP

With 14 import slots next season there will be a dilemma. We ended the season carrying 2 spares (Morrisette and a rotating spare). There may be one or two
retirements/players movig on. The 'replacement' players are going to have to be skilled,with toughness and, most of all, winning mentality/experience. A tough ask but hopefully a gem might be discovered.

Faryna is a no-nonesense player liked by many fans around the league. Fife fans think he's going there but apparently he is tied in to a university deal with Dundee.

Rutkis has signed new deal at wildcats so one youngster no one be signing this year unless can still go for a two way contract or something

Last edited:
When people say "the club" expected more from Bordy I think that is definitely a very broad statement. My personal opinion is that despite what's been said in the press, Lord had him on a lead. I get the impression the general team talk this season was something like "I don't care if that guy took your wife home last night, you don't take 2 minutes." Todd obviously wanted more from him. I got the impression that in THAT Coventry game, Bordy was annoyed with Lord and showed him exactly what he could do.

Bordy is one of the nicest guys you could ever meet, a total team guy and a great presence in general. Despite all that, at the supposed wages of 1K+ per week, I think we would be better off getting another Joey Martin-esque player. Can't afford to spend that kind of money on your tough guy (especially if the coach has him on a lead)