2017/2018 Rumours & Offseason nonsense

Tad-cu

Two weeks ago my grandson was the mascot at the Saturday night Giants game. He wore his Junior Devils kit number 58. No surprise that he was looked after by Bordy. As we left the rink this evening, the players were going in. My grandson went to Bordy to say hello, Bordy said, "see you next year!"

Leighton

Two weeks ago my grandson was the mascot at the Saturday night Giants game. He wore his Junior Devils kit number 58. No surprise that he was looked after by Bordy. As we left the rink this evening, the players were going in. My grandson went to Bordy to say hello, Bordy said, "see you next year!"
that would be awesome....

funnily enough we bumped into Bordy and Doucet by the pizza van when we were on our way out, as always Bordy (and Doucet) had a ton of time for Dawson... He absolutely loves Bordy

Ocko

I'm that certain Bordy wont be back that if the impossible happens I'll personally buy both of you a pint! In this particular case i don't think it's relevant whether he wants to come back or not.

Leighton

I'm that certain Bordy wont be back that if the impossible happens I'll personally buy both of you a pint! In this particular case i don't think it's relevant whether he wants to come back or not.
I've spoken to him about it myself whilst my boy was sitting on the players bench before a recent game so I know where you're coming from Ocko.

Ocko

I'd prefer to see us go a different route with our tough guy next year. I don't think the NHL experiment is a proven success. For the amount of money they cost I don't think NHL tough guys are worth it. Someone like Klotz is probably on about 4 times less than Bordy, McGratton and Rosehill; is their effect 4 times better? Id argue not. Klotz has fought more times than any of them and could argue had just as good if not better results, certainly more entertaining. I didn't actually think Klotz was that bad a player either and was a little surprised by his lack of ice time. But in the same breath Bordealeu hardly iced in the big games either.

Someone like Alex Gallant I'd like to see here. Someone young and hungry with a point to prove, and not looking to get a route out of the enforcing world but still play.

Mooney#16

Which bit of Bordy are you trying to replace though. The lack of fighting or the intimidatory hitting. Whilst not fighting as much as maybe liked yes a guy like Gallant or Klotz will give you maybe 10 decent fights a year. Bordy's hitting is far harder to replace though so I wouldn't be so quick to cut him adrift.

Look at Panthers this year. Granted it wasn't there call but they upgraded their fighter but lost hugely in the hitting. Janssen or McGratten. Janssen every time. I'm not loyal to Bordy but you have to look at his entire contribution. You want a fighter just pull some goon out of the LNAH. You want a full package that's where you are spending your money. And let's be frank. If Bordy had dropped the gloves say five more times this year it wouldn't even be a discussion given his contribution elsewhere.

ASHIPP

It will be interesting to see how the issue of 'intimidation factor' is addressed for next season. Whilst that quality is not necessary for the style of play in Champions Hockey tournament, the Devils will surely need to think about it for the domestic schedule?

Gospel

Was Bordy following orders though? We were told that he wasn't on a leash but look at the fight numbers this year. Batchy, Louis, Bordy, Lord very few fights. No matter what was said I don't believe Bordy was free to do what he wanted or anyone come to that.

He was very effective in intimidation but if you know that's what hes going to do it gets easier to predict and therefore play.

I'm still fuming that nobody did anything after the 2 incidents with Bowns. think I need a summer break

RTfarty

Someone like Alex Gallant I'd like to see here. Someone young and hungry with a point to prove, and not looking to get a route out of the enforcing world but still play.
Going off his stats he would offer us nothing but PK time.

Would much prefer someone in the mould of Desbiens from the Steelers, who can contribute to the scoreboard as well as police the game when needed.

Have Hope#35

Would much prefer someone in the mould of Desbiens from the Steelers, who can contribute to the scoreboard as well as police the game when needed.
Desbien was good... I would have Blair Riley before any other player in our league though! Not including Devils Players obviously ;)

Ocko

Was Bordy following orders though? We were told that he wasn't on a leash but look at the fight numbers this year. Batchy, Louis, Bordy, Lord very few fights. No matter what was said I don't believe Bordy was free to do what he wanted or anyone come to that.

He was very effective in intimidation but if you know that's what hes going to do it gets easier to predict and therefore play.

I'm still fuming that nobody did anything after the 2 incidents with Bowns. think I need a summer break
Bordy was absolutely under no orders other than a very few selected occasions. The club wanted more enforcing out of him and were disappointed by their return.

If the team were under such strict instructions how did Lord himself lead the team in fights?

Ocko

Someone like Desbiens won't come here to play 4th line minutes. If you want Desbiens it is at the expense of someone like Joey Haddad or Lord (Lord the player not coach of course).

Finny

I get the impression Bordy found it tough being away from his family for so long this season, and unless a solution to that can be found I'd be surprised if he's back next season.

It's hard to know how much of a deterrent Bordy was, there obviously weren't many people wanting to fight him. And in the end he was more effective with his hitting, either unsettling or wearing players down.

If he doesn't return do we go down the same path and sign a big name ex-NHLer enforcer?
I'd be tempted to look for someone younger. Mid-late 20s winger who has switched between the ECHL and AHL without getting a look in at the NHL. Someone who fancies a change of scenery and we can rely on for a number of seasons.

Going purely on stats someone like Dalton Smith or Marcus Perrier. Put them on a 4th line with a Hervato-esque player who is fast but hits everything in sight. Someone who will beat the crap out of any Steelers player who even looks at Bowns.

Bordeleau did disappoint me a bit. Great hitter and obviously an imposing threat who was also very popular with the fans but he fought Keefe who is past his best and a foot shorter and was unconvincing against Klotz. He is a good player but took up a huge part of our budget with his wage demands. Would be happy to see him go but at the same point will always remember that he did play an important part in this season