2017/2018 Rumours & Offseason nonsense

Ocko

I'd be very surprised to see Doucet return.

I really like him as a player and he works his nuts off but he is a top 6 player only. He can't play down the lines, but unfortunately doesn't fit in with our top two lines. He needs playmakers around him, and he doesn't get that with Myers or Culligan who grind the life out of teams. The sort of player he is isn't suited to that at all.

Ocko

Pat Azzy's mum tweeting that she can't wait to get over here next year.

Asselin back next year...
I think he will be even better next season as well. His second half of the year, once he was on a settled line with Ulmer and Joey was excellent.

That year off obviously would obviously have some effect in the early part of the year (not that anyone would've noticed), on the back of this year in excited to see how good he'll start.

Hopefully we keep our core and majority of players. So many are only just approaching their primes; A Hotham, Haddad, Martin, Fournier, Culligan, Assellin, Batch, Bowns, Louis, all still have their best years in front of them. That's quite scary to think how good they could be for us.

On the Cage Forum, wishful thinking on the part of Panthers' fans perhaps but they post a rumour of Douce returning to their team.
From someone I work with who is related to a partner of one of the Devils she said that Gui's wife absolutely hated it in Nottingham as the wives and girlfriends are pretty bitchy. Can potentially see him going to Belfast out of the Elite League teams - or potentially one of the new teams may want to make him their marquee signing.

As others have mentioned I can't see Bordy being back - you can tell he didn't really expect to be playing 4th line hockey over here in the UK and wanted more playing time. Pull of not having the family here too may also play a factor unless he gets married over the Summer. Steelers will clearly go for a tougher team next year as this year they went for speed so wondering if his friendship with Mathieu Roy (grew up with him & played for Florida Everblades together) could tempt him there.

As much as I rate Brine I can't see him coming back given no longer needing the EU passport holders - I can see the lure of CHL being able to get us better quality scoring forwards. Would be a shame though as Brine has been great, particularly defensively. From the other 2 EU passport holders Asselin looking likely to return from his mum's tweet and Benti I think will come back providing he doesn't fancy retiring and going out on a high.

Ulmer may retire too for the same reason and given he's a bit older and has recently had a new addition to the family. He'll be here till September at least as people have mentioned he's doing his MBA. Anyone know who else is doing it this year? I have a feeling Scott Hotham may be and possibly Fournier too given he was signed middle of last year so may have been given the lure of an MBA to sign a longer contract. Off the top of my head from seeing posts on Twitter last season it was Martin, Haddad & Salters and the year before A.Hotham, Walton & Marsh doing the MBA.

Only way I can see one of Piggott/Jones staying is if Murdy gets brought in by another EIHL team and we go for an U23 netminder as a replacement.

I'm super excited to see what we do this off season and the thought of having some promising young players like Antonov in the team would make things more interesting. Milton Keynes have done very well in that respect by having Hook and Cownie on 2 year deals, 2 promising young players. I wonder if some teams may take a run at Samuel Duggan this off season due to the new rule?

JC23

Ulmer may retire too for the same reason and given he's a bit older and has recently had a new addition to the family. He'll be here till September at least as people have mentioned he's doing his MBA. Anyone know who else is doing it this year? I have a feeling Scott Hotham may be and possibly Fournier too given he was signed middle of last year so may have been given the lure of an MBA to sign a longer contract. Off the top of my head from seeing posts on Twitter last season it was Martin, Haddad & Salters and the year before A.Hotham, Walton & Marsh doing the MBA.
Batch is doing his MBA too.

I have a feeling Ulmer may play CHL and then decide to call it a day with hockey at 38 and with a new born baby.

I really hope Scott Hotham sticks around another year at least.

ASHIPP

The MBA deals from Cardiff Met are very valuable to the Club. They will want to ensure that relationship continues. As the course is 1 year, the current players will be finished during the Summer.
That means attracting 3 more players to take the course next season.

Johnnybravo1927

Based purely on rumours and speculation I can see the following not returning,

Bordeleau - good at his role but never truly won over the fans and is paid a huge amount

Doucet - no lack of effort but hasnt hit the heights this season compared to other seasons

Kearney- decent player but probably not a huge step up from what we had

Piggott - not required any more

Jones - no longer required

Murdy - too good to be a back up.

Andrew Hotham - another fantastic season will surely mean he gets a big money offer from a strong DEL or SHL or KHL team.

All based on my thoughts with no inside knowledge or information

Slartibartfast

Bordy is very unlikely to be back. His wife and kid are in Canada and there was an article in the Canadian press about his plan to teach fitness to young ice hockey players next season.

JC23

Based purely on rumours and speculation I can see the following not returning,

Bordeleau - good at his role but never truly won over the fans and is paid a huge amount

Doucet - no lack of effort but hasnt hit the heights this season compared to other seasons

Kearney- decent player but probably not a huge step up from what we had

Piggott - not required any more

Jones - no longer required

Murdy - too good to be a back up.

Andrew Hotham - another fantastic season will surely mean he gets a big money offer from a strong DEL or SHL or KHL team.

All based on my thoughts with no inside knowledge or information
I agree with all of this, except maybe Hotham.

He's been offered DEL and Austria on previous off seasons and has said no. If his brother is sticking around, I can see him staying too.

d20

Murdy will stay if offered a contract speak with him often as my son does goalie trainng with him and bownsy every week and he loves it here ,loves everything about the place the rink,the fans the city says its been way better than expected ,loves it .

Devil94

I agree with all of this, except maybe Hotham.

He's been offered DEL and Austria on previous off seasons and has said no. If his brother is sticking around, I can see him staying too.
Maybe now he has won the league he feels he can move on to a different country, better league and probably more money. After missing out last 2 years, this season would be a great finish for him in Cardiff.
Obviously hope not!

bdevil

From what I gather A Hotham has only considered 2 options these past 2 off seasons - staying with Cardiff or retirement. I think it'll be the same 2 he'll be choosing between this off season.

ASHIPP

Steelers stocking up? Matt Marquardt from Blaze; Stephen Schultz from Panthers

Wiikman to retire; Brian Stewart to replace him.

Kal

I heard over the weekend Marquardt was telling people that he'd already signed with the Steelers and Brian Stewart was considering retirement