2017/2018 Rumours & Offseason nonsense

There is zero chance Bordealeu will be back.

We have to lose 2 of our current Brits too.

Also, the EU rule is now gone so out recruitment need not be held back by passports. Which suits us as a very North American type team.
I know it's a rumour page, but is there any truth in bordy or just what you heard? Be gutted if he didn't come back although I don't think he will myself.

ASHIPP

The EPL is an environment for former British players retired from the Elite League and older British players who either did not want to/not good enough to play at that level. Currently very, very few players in that league who are 23 or under. Any players recruited to fulfil the new roster requirements will be from leagues even lower (NIHL, SNL) - or there may be a few young gems with massive potential playing abroad who could be lured back home. However, unless they are guaranteed to play in games, would you return from junior hockey in Canada or Germany to sit on the bench every week?

Pondlife

- or there may be a few young gems with massive potential playing abroad who could be lured back home. However, unless they are guaranteed to play in games, would you return from junior hockey in Canada or Germany to sit on the bench every week?
Out of interest, would they be eligible? The new wording is a bit weird "The Elite League has confirmed the maximum bench size for the 2017/18 season will be set at 19 plus up to three British trained players born in 1994 or later.:" (my emphasis) - would British born players who lived/learnt elsewhere be allowed on the new rosters? I assume so but it could be interesting.

The EPL is an environment for former British players retired from the Elite League and older British players who either did not want to/not good enough to play at that level. Currently very, very few players in that league who are 23 or under.
Not sure that's necessarily true, 62 outskaters played 26 or more (i.e. half the season) that were U24, considering the league ended up with 9 teams thats over 6 players on each team which is a relatively fair proportion.

ASHIPP

Not sure that's necessarily true, 62 outskaters played 26 or more (i.e. half the season) that were U24, considering the league ended up with 9 teams thats over 6 players on each team which is a relatively fair proportion.
Even then there are still issues - some of these players may have flexible jobs or even be in education. Who would be persuaded to join a team in the higher league only to spend most of their time on the bench. That is neither 'development' or 'experience'.They could stay where they are and get regular ice time every week.

Even then there are still issues - some of these players may have flexible jobs or even be in education. Who would be persuaded to join a team in the higher league only to spend most of their time on the bench. That is neither 'development' or 'experience'.They could stay where they are and get regular ice time every week.
I agree with that, it will be difficult and be very much based on location. Sheffield have the right idea with Kirk & Shudra, however they are a) both very good (Kirk in particular) and b) local to Sheffield and are able to play for the Steeldogs. Cardiff will need to look to the Swindon/Okanagan players I think to get something similar, get 2 or 3 U23 players and rotate them in the (for example) 12'th forward role, but still getting time in the EPL. Manchester (who I support) have a number of NIHL teams close by but there's nothing like the quality of Kirk or the Okanagan guys, etc playing for them so I don't think this move will benefit us much, and we will struggle to effectively fill those positions.

JC23

I agree with that, it will be difficult and be very much based on location. Sheffield have the right idea with Kirk & Shudra, however they are a) both very good (Kirk in particular) and b) local to Sheffield and are able to play for the Steeldogs. Cardiff will need to look to the Swindon/Okanagan players I think to get something similar, get 2 or 3 U23 players and rotate them in the (for example) 12'th forward role, but still getting time in the EPL. Manchester (who I support) have a number of NIHL teams close by but there's nothing like the quality of Kirk or the Okanagan guys, etc playing for them so I don't think this move will benefit us much, and we will struggle to effectively fill those positions.
I saw some of the Okanagan guys play this weekend for Swindon vs Cardiff Fire in the NIHL2 cup final...some of them are VERY impressive players.

Tomas Rutkiss being the standout for me. Skates incredibly well and knows exactly where the goal is.

ASHIPP

If these youngsters are to be part of the Elite rosters, in order for them to develop they surely have to play as well as train at that level. Young players (e.g. Grievson, Chad Smith) on the Scottish rosters got virtually no regular ice-time this season, even when their teams were playing short-benched. Commitment has to start with the clubs or they will spend a lot of time on the bench without challenges. Kirk and Shudra did spend time playing in the EPL last season - wonder if 2-way contracts would still happen?

Those talented young players like Rutkiss, Duggan, Antonov annd Griffiths etc are going to be on the radar of many of the Elite League teams. Going to be interesting to see who can be persuaded to join the next level.

Bordeleau gone
Brine gone
Fournier gone
CJ gone

Asselin back for two years
Louis back
Buglass to be offered one way deal
impressive dual-national offensive d man to be signed ;)
Another team to pull out all the stops to prise Batch away! :(
Marquardt to Sheffield.
Roy to re-sign in Sheffield

Two conferences. Belfast to easily win league next season...

Upgrade on Morrissette needed IMO but will probably be re-signed as local and probably cheap.
Haddad/Martin are the top import forward re-signings for me, would be absolutely gutted if they end up elsewhere!

Last edited:

Have Hope#35

Jack prince to devils is a must!

Bordy to leave along with one of the hothams brine and piggott and cj
Curious... who would Jack Prince replace out of Bowns, Murdy, Ritchie, Batch & Myers? Assuming they all want to re-sign and are wanted by the Club I'd say none of them! We need at least one U23, I wonder whether this kid could step up to fourth line EIHL?
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=183997
Also heard strong rumours that S.Owen to Belfast Giants is a done deal!