CHL

Devil94

Thread starter #1
So, very exciting, we have now qualified for the 2017-2018 Champions Hockey League. Here are the other teams that have qualified so far.

Sweden; Vaxjo Lakers, HV71, Jonkoping, Frolunda Gothenburg.

Finland; Tappara Tampere, TPS Turku

Czech; Bili Tygri Liberec, Ocelari Trinec

Switzerland; SC Bern, ZSC Lions Zurich

Germany; Red Bull Munich, Adler Mannheim

Austria; Red Bull Salzburg, Vienna Capitals

UK; Cardiff Devils, Nottingham Panthers.

Having watched the draw the last few years, it is very complicated so not sure what the rules are regarding who can go in what group, but there can't be two teams from the same country in the same group, and the two wildcards can't go in the same group, so we will not play the Polish side or the Panthers.

I think I fancy teams from Germany, Austria or Switzerland. The Red Bull teams would be great.

Some of the teams in Finland and Sweden looks like they're pretty difficult to get to, and I'd like as many Devils fans going to the away games as possible to show Europe what were made of!

Finny

CHL is reducing the number of teams this season from 48 to 32, but it means an increase in the number of teams in each group from 3 to 4 (and so 6 games instead of 4).

Based on previous years the teams will all be seeded so we're almost certain to face either a Swedish or Finish team and German/Swiss/Austrian team.

Last year the draw was at the start of May so only around 6 weeks until we know!!

I started looking at how easy travel might be / where they are exactly...and came across this 2016 Canadiens article that looked at the european fan experience and atmosphere. I thought it was worth sharing. Our travelling Red Army have repeatedly made the atmosphere at a number of rinks that has been commented on by more than one visitor to the club. At home, the experience in IAW is (IMHO) equal to the show, but the German atmosphere (admittedly from video) is on another level. All of which makes the CHL an exciting prospect and not possible but for the fact WE ARE CHAMPIONS!!!
http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2...da-Malmo-Bratislava-Yaroslavl-SHL-KHL-NHL-NLA

Devil94

Thread starter #11
CHL is reducing the number of teams this season from 48 to 32, but it means an increase in the number of teams in each group from 3 to 4 (and so 6 games instead of 4).

Based on previous years the teams will all be seeded so we're almost certain to face either a Swedish or Finish team and German/Swiss/Austrian team.

Last year the draw was at the start of May so only around 6 weeks until we know!!
Awesome!

Devil94

Thread starter #12
I started looking at how easy travel might be / where they are exactly...and came across this 2016 Canadiens article that looked at the european fan experience and atmosphere. I thought it was worth sharing. Our travelling Red Army have repeatedly made the atmosphere at a number of rinks that has been commented on by more than one visitor to the club. At home, the experience in IAW is (IMHO) equal to the show, but the German atmosphere (admittedly from video) is on another level. All of which makes the CHL an exciting prospect and not possible but for the fact WE ARE CHAMPIONS!!!
http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2...da-Malmo-Bratislava-Yaroslavl-SHL-KHL-NHL-NLA
Some rinks in Europe are unreal, won't see the atmosphere beat anywhere in the world in any sport. Unfortunately, the CHL is a competition they haven't fully taken to yet in the continent. Can't see a team from Wales being that attractive to fans of a SHL club, but I'm sure we'll show them what we're made of, off and on the ice.

It's a shame that the whole team that got us there won't be playing in it, but hopefully the majority will be back.

Wannabe2

Don't take this the wrong way, but I am not a lover of the CHL, my love is all about domestic hockey, the Bread and Butter if you like. Putting players through extra games and risking injuries in a competition that UK teams are never going to win and I mean that respectfully, is not ideal preparation to me. For players to travel, and experience different cultures must be pretty neat. But no one remembers those who qualified through the earlier rounds and then fell short. Domestic hockey to me is everything, beating our fiercest rivals is what it's all about. To me I love the Nth American version, as opposed to the European version , and this is what hockey is all about, yes the European way is fast and skillful, but give me blood and guts domestic hockey every day of the week.

Ocko

I can't wait to see what we can do against top European teams. We proved against KHL and Slovakian opposition that we won't be pushovers.

I'm not at all expecting us to get to the finals or anything but I genuinely think we could offer the competition something different and cause an upset or two. We are a very different team to the Steelers and Panthers teams that have been in the competition previously, I think they tried to be too like their opposition (especially Thompson) which they would never be able to get anywhere near to. Being a very North American type of team will certainly give European teams something different to have to think about.

This is totally exciting!

No arguments Wannabe2.
Probably the reason why the Cup (until that awesome final) has failed to ignite (other) teams imagination.
Domestic and League has been the Holy Grail. However, if the CHL is a prize of our success, then why not dive in and enjoy it. An away trip to an exotic European city as you say, could be a neat experience for the fans as well, in much the same way that the GB fans enjoyed the experience this last year.

Entering the CHL is an amazing opportunity for the club and us fans. We have the best travelling fans in the league. I'm sure the club will want to be and can be competitive both within the EIHL and CHL. In the long term I'm sure better UK teams within the CHL will benefit the EIHL, it certainly needs improvement.

Devil_Abroad

Surely the players deserve their trip into CHL and to experience top quality hockey? I think most if not all will be looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Devil94

Thread starter #19
On the devils story about the Krefeld game, it says that the CHL starts the following weekend. That would be August 26th.
If we play 3 teams twice, does that mean for three weekends we'll play CHL games? Or are games going to be squeezed in to a two period?

ASHIPP

To participate in that elite group of teams competing in the CHL an achievement most teams can only dream of.
To be pittted against teams of that quality is a challenge relished by teams and their fans, win or lose.
The downside reality is the toll it takes on players' fitness...and the capability of a team to do well in the domestic schedule, particularly if they are defending titles. The schedule congestion is crazy. Panthers and Steelers proved these things in this last season.